• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wal-Mart tire and lube....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We had an engine come in a few years ago that seized several times. When it would cool down it would free up and run until it locked up again. I think the guy did that two times and decided he ought to do something... and then did it once more on the way to the shop. It drove in under its own power though and was still a "running" engine when we tore it down.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I had an old 11 hp briggs that would seize when warm, itd cool off, id bust it loose with a pipe wrench, and run it another 15 minutes.

Ive never actually witnessed an car engine seize (except from sitting), generally if the conditons are correct for it to seize (low/no oil pressure, high rpm, etc) a rod will go flying first.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had an old 11 hp briggs that would seize when warm, itd cool off, id bust it loose with a pipe wrench, and run it another 15 minutes.

Back when there still was an Agricultural Engineering at the U of S (re-badged Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering for a lot of years, then renamed Biological Engineering and folded into Chemical Engineering/absorbed into Mechanical and Civil), the student society had an annual fundraiser called MotorBlast.

They would get ahold of a beater (bigger the beater usually, often temporarily 'donated' by a local wrecker) that was on paper still plateable. They would do any necessary quick repairs to get it short-term drivable and brush on a new coat of paint, that included the names of local sponsors. Some years the mods included eg: making a convertible by cutting the top off, putting straight pipe stacks out the rear deck etc. It would end up being a pretty good looking machine from 40 or 50 feet back!

For the next month or so it would be driven all over town, getting great visibility for the sponsors, and the students would be selling tickets. On each ticket, the purchaser would write a time, usually between say 2 and 20 minutes.

On the last day of spring classes, there would be a small parade, as the car was driven over to the University Bowl, where a large crowd awaited. The car was run up on ramps, then drained of oil. The crowd was pushed back to a safe-ish distance, and the engine was started, and then run at full throttle until it stopped (one way or another, for the first time). Donated prizes would then be distributed to the ticket-holders who had most closely called the time of engine death.

I had mixed feelings when I first saw this - the students were a motivated and close-knit group, and it was good to see them doing an ambitious and popular fundraiser, but I didn't so much like seeing a good engine ruined (I did kind of eventually make my peace with the fact that these beaters were pretty much on the way to the crusher and had by this a last hurrah and educated and entertained hundreds at their passing). On the other hand, it was undeniably educational and surprisingly variable.

Some of those engines were pretty tough and had a bit of wear that kept them turning for quite a while even when hot and unlubricated. Dodge 318s were typically engines that would last 10 minutes or more under these conditions. Some would eventually throw rods, while a lot would simply bog down and seize (throwing out some black smoke with their last gasp). More than one, after cooling down and having oil added, would start again, and be able to be driven off the scene.

http://homepage.usask.ca/~wcr959/page/page2.html

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's awesome. I'd like to see a car run with no oil. I see videos all the time where people drain the oil and put mountain dew in it. Or I saw wooden pistons in one. Another guy put a 2 liter of coca cola in the gas tank to see how far it would drive. These cars were actually pretty surprising to say the least. Motors are very mysterious machines.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's awesome. I'd like to see a car run with no oil.
Generally nothing too dramatic. They just pull down like a large brake is slowing being applied... which is kind of what happens as parts swell with heat and start interfering with each other.

Kinda weird, hold it down and they go longer than if you vary the throttle. I have heard residual oil stays on the crank longer at constant RPM... no idea how much truth there is to that.

We have had tractors come in basically using diesel fuel for crankcase oil, it is crazy what they can put up with.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals