• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Future

rngrnewbie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, im about to make a big change in my life and need some advice from people who have been through big changes, im about to exit the military after 4 years of service and dont know where to go next. Here is my situation, i graduated HS, went to computer school graduated that and realized thats not what i wanted to do in life. I then chose to join the military in 04, i started my military career as a Heavy construction equipment operator and was in fort bragg for about 1 year and 3 months before deploying to iraq. Went to iraq started out 12 months, 10 months in got extended to 15 months then everything started down hill. First my platoon sgt got shot, hes alright limited use of his arm, next one of my buddies gets hit by an ied on 2 straight missions gets sent home for Tramatic Brain Injury, next another buddy is at a base that got hit by a VBIED, bleeding from ears also has TBI, and lastly thinking things cant get worse i take a round in the chin from a sniper, drew my last straw with the army. Now after being back at Ft bragg for 6 months, im about 3 months from getting out of the military.

Sorry for all of that but thats mainly my resoning for getting out of the military, just too much. You may all thing yeah heavy construction equipment operator you can operate in the civilian world but no we rarely operate, and when we do its nothing to the level expected out of the civilian world, its bare minimum to get done fast. Dont get me wrong i wanna operate but just dont have the skills yet. Next option is school its mostly paid for but being out of school for so long i just dont know if i can go back to it and be successful and being 24 already i just dont know if goin to school is worht it 28 seems old to start a career. I really just would like to know what you guys have had success doing or if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I have been a member here for 4 or so years I dont post much but learn a lot from everyone on here, so i trust you guys would not steer me in the wrong direction.

Thanks a lot
chris

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I was 28 when I went back to school. Your never too old. I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic for a while. Pay is good but, it's physically demanding and you have to be away from home a lot.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
First thing: Are you Married or single? Family always comes first.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Your never too old. I went to the police academy with a guy that retired from being a school teacher and wanted to be a police officer.

People change careers later in life than that.

Your going to have to figure out for yourself what you want to do.

It should be something you'll like and that will keep a roof over your head and food on the table. Remember that someday you'll want to retire. I'm lucky in that I have a state retirement. I don't have any faith in social security.

Speaking of state..........

You worked for the government (military) operating heavy equipment, have you ever thought about a job with a state highway department like Penn DOT, Ohio DOT, etc? I think here in Ohio those ODOT workers make good money with good benefits and retirement. Just a suggestion. I'm sure you'll get a lot of others.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I'm going through the same thought process... I'm in the Air Force and I'm an inch away from putting my name on the "early out" list.

If I get out early, it will be this December instead of December '09.

I can only hope and pray that God will give me favor as I go through this.

God Bless you too!!

maitee1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just went through the process last Sep-Dec. After 10 years in the Navy it was time to move on. Started terminal leave in September and was officially out in mid October and landed a job in December. Here are a few steps I took.

Make sure that resume is together. Fleet and Family Support(don't know what the Army calls it) can check your resume to make sure it translates to civilian life.

Wherever you plan on relocating to, start hitting the internet for job prospects. Fleet and Family should be able to help you with that as well. Cold-call the companies you are interested in. Have family send you local papers so you can see what companies are out there.

If you land a gov't job, remember to buy back your time in the military. This goes towards your retirement. You can pay it all at once or do installments.

Make sure you go to TAP Class.

rngrnewbie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im single but have been with the same girl for going on 4 years and plan on marrying her and im going to try to get into Penn DOT at this point its hard for me to do all the classes and things that the army offers because of so many people getting out after the deployment. Being a leader you can only be gone so much so i have not even been able to make my first ACAP army career assistance program which you are supposed to be able to start up to a year from getting out. Its going to be a tough transfer going from being told to do everything to doing more on your own. thanks for all the advice, more is definately welcome!

chris

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Wait till you hit the civilian world and people only want to half ass their jobs and everyone lacks discipline....

I wonder if Penn DOT is like ODOT (Ohio) where it takes six guys to put up a traffic sign along the roadway?

rngrnewbie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes Penn DOT is like that lol but i would love the benefits of having a state job. Also you would not believe what the army is coming to, lack of discipline is horrible in the army now, its changed from night to day in just the short 4 years i have been in.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Wait till you hit the civilian world and people only want to half ass their jobs and everyone lacks discipline....

I wonder if Penn DOT is like ODOT (Ohio) where it takes six guys to put up a traffic sign along the roadway?
Damn, isn't that the truth! I worked with a retired Army Serviceman, was in the Service for twenty years, and when he got out he realized it was amazing how much freedom you have, being in the military for that many years and getting out surprised him how much freedom this country has, was a good worker too.

Pisses me off when my co-workers are williningly lacking discipline in inspection standards.:sad: No wonder Jobs are leaving this country!:sad:

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
I'm 34, was in computers for 14 years. I went back to school to become a truck driver. It is a lot easier to go back for retraining the younger you are, especially with no family to worry about providing for.

Think about what you have always liked to do. Then check out what those jobs are actually like and what training you need.

It takes some soul searching but take whatever time you have to do it now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals