• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thoughts on the R A N G E R tailgate...

Big'Un

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ram
Engine Size
5.7 Hemi
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
$hit Happens
The HUGE, gaudy lettering / ID on the tailgate. What do y'all think about it ? Personally, I'm not a fan. I wonder if anyone will offer a panel that would cover them and kinda, smooth over the rearend ? I've never been a fan of the decals or badges....my 13 Ram Sport was de-badged with-in a week of getting it home.
What say you ???:dunno:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i like it actually, on my 94 i removed the blue oval emblem and filled the holes, painted center of tailgate a light blue, sat some wood letters down on tailgate and sprayed over with the darker blue, letting the wood mask the lighter paint, giving it a "old school" appearance. if only i could emboss the panel! i did this just a couple of days after i saw the 2019 ranger for the first time, im now wondering if i should have done it in R A N G E R instead of F O R D. but i am going for the old school look on this build, classic two-tone paint, 60's hood badge, roof lights. i usually like the clean unbadged look, but i do like the new ranger, and with it embossed in its not overly noticeable, like the early 90's gm 1/2 tons that had the huge 4x4 decal on the side of the box you could read 1/4 mile away.

my retro tailgate--> https://www.flickr.com/photos/154582078@N03/26324243967/

i do wish ford wouldnt use locator holes for the blue oval emblem, seems like every one from 2005-on fades bad and id just as soon remove it. for those who havent seen the new 2019 tailgate, here it is:--> https://www.flickr.com/photos/154582078@N03/39056614950/
wish they would have left the blue oval emblem off of the tailgate though, whos gonna read "ranger" and not know its a ford?

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Personally, I love the old plain and simple retro “FORD” lettering racsan. Wish the tailgate on my Ranger had the letters like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAILGATE-FORD-RANGER-PICK-UP-83-84-85-86-87-88-89-90-91-92/322969759937?hash=item4b327f70c1:g:b50AAOSwyYFaSCpM

I actually kinda like the “RANGER” gate you showed for the new one, because it has a basic, retro sort of look to it, if you just mentally squint a little. What looks pretty terribly is the blue oval badge above it. Bad combo. But what I really hated were those gates that came on the full size Ford trucks in the late 80’s or early ’90’s that were a huge brushed aluminum looking plate that took up about 2/3 of the gate surface and had the oval FORD badge on them in one corner (I feel like they had red plastic in them somewhere, maybe?). They were f’ing HIDEOUS, IMO.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didn’t think it looked too bad. I do wish the bed was so deep though

And my truck has the F O R D spelled across it. It was a lower trim level truck thing.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
To Each Their Own

The HUGE, gaudy lettering / ID on the tailgate. What do y'all think about it ? Personally, I'm not a fan. I wonder if anyone will offer a panel that would cover them and kinda, smooth over the rearend ? I've never been a fan of the decals or badges....my 13 Ram Sport was de-badged with-in a week of getting it home.
What say you ???:dunno:
I say, To Each Their Own. We don't even know yet. :beer:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Wtf ?

i like it actually, on my 94 i removed the blue oval emblem and filled the holes, painted center of tailgate a light blue, sat some wood letters down on tailgate and sprayed over with the darker blue, letting the wood mask the lighter paint, giving it a "old school" appearance. if only i could emboss the panel! i did this just a couple of days after i saw the 2019 ranger for the first time, im now wondering if i should have done it in R A N G E R instead of F O R D. but i am going for the old school look on this build, classic two-tone paint, 60's hood badge, roof lights. i usually like the clean unbadged look, but i do like the new ranger, and with it embossed in its not overly noticeable, like the early 90's gm 1/2 tons that had the huge 4x4 decal on the side of the box you could read 1/4 mile away.

my retro tailgate--> https://www.flickr.com/photos/154582078@N03/26324243967/

i do wish ford wouldnt use locator holes for the blue oval emblem, seems like every one from 2005-on fades bad and id just as soon remove it. for those who havent seen the new 2019 tailgate, here it is:--> https://www.flickr.com/photos/154582078@N03/39056614950/
wish they would have left the blue oval emblem off of the tailgate though, whos gonna read "ranger" and not know its a ford?
Why in the Hell would Ford leave the blue oval off a Ford vehicle ? :shok:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why in the Hell would Ford leave the blue oval off a Ford vehicle ? :shok:
Hey,

Not saying they should left it off the truck altogether, just saying that the way they used it here looks terrible. On lots of Fords (including all of them I’ve had so far), it’s used on the grill, but not the gate.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Hey,

Not saying they should left it off the truck altogether, just saying that the way they used it here looks terrible. On lots of Fords (including all of them I’ve had so far), it’s used on the grill, but not the gate.
OIC, sorry. I misunderstood. I agree, that one looks gawdy.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey,

They have been on the tailgate for a long time.

F150 got the big centered one in 2004 and the last ranger received one about the same time too. Before that both had smaller offset ovals.

The chrome part is so big because like a lot of newer Fords the backup camera is integrated into it.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Maybe im biased, but the best looking tailgates fords ever had for the

Ranger..

Fseries...

I dont really know what the big 3s obession is lately with these huge, in your face, arrogant badges/emblems. Ram is the worst offender.

But the ass end of fords new trucks look to isuzuish. Like they belong knee deep in desert jihad.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I can definitely agree with you on the F-series gates. A little more ambivalent about the Ranger, though.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I can definitely agree with you on the F-series gates. A little more ambivalent about the Ranger, though.

I shoulda added the disclaimer that the original rangers never had a bad looking gate, i just thought the fancy 1st gen ones looked the most trucky.

Untill the most recent platinum tailgates, this one was, imo, the ugliest...

.67-72 F series

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe im biased, but the best looking tailgates fords ever had for the

Ranger..

Fseries...

I dont really know what the big 3s obession is lately with these huge, in your face, arrogant badges/emblems. Ram is the worst offender.

But the ass end of fords new trucks look to isuzuish. Like they belong knee deep in desert jihad.
Sorry, F O R D for the win for me... not that I am biased.:yahoo:

New F-150 tailgates keep getting better, 04-08 were so flat and utterly boring.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I do like those gates to, and the letters dont fall off :)

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I like that one better too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals