• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FX2 vs FX4

priceman142

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm debating, if I do get a Ranger, whether to get the FX-2 package. I don't need the FX-4 and I probably don't even need 4x4 since I really don't offroad.

From what I can tell online, the FX-2 has the same shocks, skid plates, e-locker diff, and probably appearance of the FX-4, and probably the same wheels/tires, but some sources say the FX-2 doesn't get the FX-4's 'front lower bash plate.'

I'm interested in the e-locker, since that's probably all I'd need for the few times I have gotten stuck or struggled somewhere.

I'm curious to know if the FX-2 would have tow hooks.

From what I could tell online, the FX-2 for the F-150 wasn't an offroad pack, it was more like a street appearance package with a nicer interior.

Has anyone else found any info on the FX-2 package?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not really other than it is planned. They have been pretty tight lipped on what the packages mean so far other than the FX4.

TrackRider54

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I really wish Ford would give us some more info. You KNOW they know. Ram and Chevy have released details and even provided pre-production units of their 2019 trucks. Why can't Ford?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Chevy and dodge are probably piggybacking most of their packages off of previous trucks.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
The Fx2 package in F150 has been gone for a few years. I don't recall reading it is planned for the Ranger. The E-Locker can be had in any trim with any package in the F150. 2wd XL with power and elock or limited slip is usually my pick.

TrackRider54

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've owned a ton of vehicles and only four of them have been 4WD/AWD. On the three or four days a year I needed the 4WD it was wonderful. I love the ground clearance and stance of a 4x4 truck, but really have no need for the 4x4 system. I hope the Ranger will have some sort of "Pre-Runner" type package that looks 4WD but isn't. That'll save me some cash. :)

I had an F-150 a few years back that was 2WD with a electronic locking rear diff. I could lock the diff and go anywhere I needed to go.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have heard FX2 Ranger mentioned but I don't recall if it was something from Ford, something from the press or someone on here.

I get what you mean though, kind of like the old Edge trucks. Looks like a 4wd but isn't.

4x4 is a requirement for me. :D

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
4x4 is a requirement for me. :D
I remember some ol boy tellin me once "The only difference between a 2wd and 4wd is about 30 ft of strap"

Truthfully, ive had 4x4s, other then the 2 times a year i used them in the winter all they did was tempt me to go wheeling, which i usually gave in, and tore up shit.

I have found a good 2wd (even open diffed) with a goof set of tires and a brain behind the wheel will do anything i ever need.

That being said, is it just me, or will a 2wd truck go thru/do more stuff then a 4wd will in 2wd?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I remember some ol boy tellin me once "The only difference between a 2wd and 4wd is about 30 ft of strap"

Truthfully, ive had 4x4s, other then the 2 times a year i used them in the winter all they did was tempt me to go wheeling, which i usually gave in, and tore up shit.

I have found a good 2wd (even open diffed) with a goof set of tires and a brain behind the wheel will do anything i ever need.

That being said, is it just me, or will a 2wd truck go thru/do more stuff then a 4wd will in 2wd?
I have never had a 2wd truck. :dntknw:

I use 4wd quite a bit since it takes the county two days to do anything to our road in the winter and it is uphill thru the berm from the state trucks to get onto the highway (which is also uphill) Starting heavy loads on gravel and whatever, 4wd is a really nice ace in the hole. I probably use it more on dry gravel than anything really.

I have eaten enough mud while working on my trucks for the thrill of mudding to fade. I tear up snow drifts in my field but otherwise 4wd isn't really for play.

I know not everyone does stuff like that but for me 4wd is the only way to go.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I have never had a 2wd truck. :dntknw:

I use 4wd quite a bit since it takes the county two days to do anything to our road in the winter and it is uphill thru the berm from the state trucks to get onto the highway (which is also uphill) Starting heavy loads on gravel and whatever, 4wd is a really nice ace in the hole. I probably use it more on dry gravel than anything really.

I have eaten enough mud while working on my trucks for the thrill of mudding to fade. I tear up snow drifts in my field but otherwise 4wd isn't really for play.

I know not everyone does stuff like that but for me 4wd is the only way to go.
I have a ORV park 20 min from my house, so yes, 4wd gets me in trouble.

Its an old gravel pit but has many different things, trails, mud, rocks, sand, pretty much anything, Every now and again on a dry weekend lll toss the flag on the old 77 (which is 2wd) and go cruise around the service roads that lead to the crazy stuff just to watch people break their shit. Its theraputic :D

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have heard FX2 Ranger mentioned but I don't recall if it was something from Ford, something from the press or someone on here.
Was at the Ford Press release; it was quoted in press releases of all the attendees.

Personally, my 2wd always has better tires than the 4x4s in winter - since we put Blizzaks on the Explorer, it hasn't been in 4x4 - tires making more difference than 4wd or driver.*

I also have different attitude when driving the 2wd. I pick better routes, etc.

If an FX2 converts to FX4 as easily as an Edge did, I might start with 2wd.

*That isn't saying 4wd with great driver and tires isn't better than 2wd drive and same; just that no driver/4wd makes up for sh!++y tires.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Love the 4wd stance and ground clearance of my 2wd Edge, but hate the open diff. It is 3.73. Always wanted the 4.10 LS.

Last edited:

TrackRider54

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I really loved having 4wd when I had them. But like others said, I'd find reasons to go offroad. I'd purposely try to get stuck in 2wd then use 4wd to get me out.

There was one time when it snowed a lot (which in Nashville is rare) and I needed to get somewhere. It was great on the hills around here. Sadly, it wasn't worth a damn when I was sliding down the other side of the hill. :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Was at the Ford Press release; it was quoted in press releases of all the attendees.
I thought they had, I knew I heard it somewhere.

If an FX2 converts to FX4 as easily as an Edge did, I might start with 2wd.
Still a kind of a PITA to change everything though.

priceman142

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A lot of articles I've read about the ranger mention the FX2 package.

As mentioned in my original post, the description of FX2 varies a bit from article to article, probably just due to poor writing/wording.

But every article that mentions FX2 talks about the e-locker, off road shocks, and at least some skid plates.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals