• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should The New Ranger Look Like The F-150?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

I decided to write this post after seeing many comments from people complaining about the look of the 2019 Ford Ranger.

The Ford Ranger was always an afterthought of Ford. Ford imported the Mazda Courier after the success of the Toyota and Datsun trucks. They used the Courier until they could develop their own compact truck.

The 1st generation (see above) of the Ford Ranger took styling cues from the F-150, and probably had the closest 'style' of any of the Rangers produced.

As time went on, they began to resemble their big brother less and less...

Which brings us to the upcoming 2019 Ford Ranger.

I saw the Ranger at the debut in Detroit. It's a great looking truck in person. I'll admit, it does have a 'Toyota' feel to its look:

But, the Ranger is back, and it's definitely an overall improvement from the 2011 model. But then, Ford used the same basic truck design and interior since 1994.

While the truck may be 'new' to North America, it's actually an old design. Ford has been using this same Australian designed Ford Ranger T6 since 2011.

So what do you think? Should Ford try to give the Ford Ranger more of an F-150 look?

Maybe like this fiberglass kit, but normal width?

I guess we'll just have to embrace it. :icon_idea:

TrackRider54

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I like the look of the new Ranger. I think Ford made a great move using the the global platform to build off of. With the Ranger being such a strong seller globally, much of the R&D cost has been absorbed and Ford can bring the Ranger to market at a price that hopefully undercuts the GM and Toyota offerings.

When the spec sheet for a VERY expensive 2018 Tacoma includes things like this:

"Power-assisted ventilated front disc brakes; rear drum brakes with tandem booster and Star Safety System"

Drum brakes...on a $40k+ vehicle. Wow!

Ford should mop the floor in the mid size pickup market.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Here is one render I found before Detroit that tries to make a T6 look related to a F-150.

I am personally glad it doesn't look like an F-Series... I can't stand the harmonica grille of the new F-Series.

They do bear something of a resemblance to a Taco in a picture, Ranger is much more fluid and the Taco is much more angular in real life. Taco grille is HUGE in real life, Ranger's didn't feel that big.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I like the look of the new Ranger. I think Ford made a great move using the the global platform to build off of. With the Ranger being such a strong seller globally, much of the R&D cost has been absorbed and Ford can bring the Ranger to market at a price that hopefully undercuts the GM and Toyota offerings.

When the spec sheet for a VERY expensive 2018 Tacoma includes things like this:

"Power-assisted ventilated front disc brakes; rear drum brakes with tandem booster and Star Safety System"

Drum brakes...on a $40k+ vehicle. Wow!

Ford should mop the floor in the mid size pickup market.
I like the global platform for the increased aftermarket support. Companies already offer quite a variety of products for it, and there will be even more incentive for companies to make parts for it with it being sold globally.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Personally i think it looks better then the new 150s as it is.

Secondly, with the success of retro designed muscle cars (and, like it or not compact trucks are a "niche" market), why not go out on a limb and make it reminscent of a 1st gen?

RANGERBRAZIL

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Santa Vitoria do Palmar-Rio Grande do Sul-Brazil
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger stx
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
11" lift
Tire Size
37x14.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler
My credo
Catolic
The new Ford Ranger is sold for a few years here in Brazil... It is an excellent truck, it makes a huge success... 3.2-liter 5-cylinder engine is powerful for size!
It's going to be a hit in the USA too!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
The new Ford Ranger is sold for a few years here in Brazil... It is an excellent truck, it makes a huge success... 3.2-liter 5-cylinder engine is powerful for size!
It's going to be a hit in the USA too!
Is that engine the turbo diesel ?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure it's going to be 'hit' in North America, because as Jim says it is an afterthought to Ford. Toyota knows how to sell the Tacoma - h3ll, they can even sell a manual in the top of line crew cab 4x4 as the enthusiast's choice. Ford can't sell manual Mustangs as enthusiast choice. Ford had a terribly tough time selling me a Focus SVT - why would I want to get a fancy small car, when I could get a fancy BIG car for just a little more?

Yes, they will sell well, but they are just going to cover some pent up demand, steal sales from Colorado/Canyon.* My bet is Tacoma sales don't even notice the Ranger.

Note: Everywhere else in the world, the Tacoma is considered to have copied the Ranger.

*Gas prices suddenly doubling would make Ford's move look like pure genius, but my crystal ball isn't predicting that at moment.

p.s. I like the fact that Ranger is distinctive from F-150, just as I like Expedition being distinctive from all the other SUVs which Ford is rolling out.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Personally i think it looks better then the new 150s as it is.

Secondly, with the success of retro designed muscle cars (and, like it or not compact trucks are a "niche" market), why not go out on a limb and make it reminscent of a 1st gen?
That would be really cool to have a 1st gen look. I have always liked the factory restored look of vehicles in general. I have never compared side by side images of the ranger and f150's before. Cool stuff.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm not sure it's going to be 'hit' in North America, because as Jim says it is an afterthought to Ford.

p.s. I like the fact that Ranger is distinctive from F-150, just as I like Expedition being distinctive from all the other SUVs which Ford is rolling out.
1- Everything besides the F series is an afterthought to ford. I for one think this "global" crap everyone (besides dodge) is going to is utter BS. This is america, not europe. The reason fullsize trucks sell so well is because they are really the only "american" design still rolling around. What works in europe doesnt work here, and vice versa.

The taurus (somewhat) fusion, escape, fiesta, transit, and now the ranger are just euro knockoffs minus stick shifts and diesel.

I understand they do it for cost purposes, but jesus the only real "exciting" car on the market anymore is a Challenger with 8 cylinders.

As for the Expedition, they were good trucks, i had 2, but seriously went right down the shitter after 2002.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure it's going to be 'hit' in North America, because as Jim says it is an afterthought to Ford. Toyota knows how to sell the Tacoma - h3ll, they can even sell a manual in the top of line crew cab 4x4 as the enthusiast's choice. Ford can't sell manual Mustangs as enthusiast choice. Ford had a terribly tough time selling me a Focus SVT - why would I want to get a fancy small car, when I could get a fancy BIG car for just a little more?
I bet per vehicle sold Ford sells more manual Mustangs that Toyota does Tacos. Don't forget Toyota was king once before until the Ranger with a regurgitated Pinto powertrain upset it in '87 and didn't let go until Ford let the Ranger wither on the fine until 2004.

+1

That would be really cool to have a 1st gen look. I have always liked the factory restored look of vehicles in general. I have never compared side by side images of the ranger and f150's before. Cool stuff.
I don't think there is anywhere to go with the first gen look that would look good. An outright scaled up copy would be great... but would suck for aerodynamics and mine catches enough crosswind as it is. So they round off the corners, lean back the windshield... I am afraid we would get more of a Camaro style retro :)bad:) than a Mustang style retro :)cool:)

And actually if you play with the years a little bit the F-series and Ranger line up better, Ford usually came out with their new truck style first on the Ranger (89 Ranger to 92 F-series, 93 Ranger to 97 F-series, 98 Ranger to 04 F-series... and the Ranger kind of plateaued there while the F-series kept evolving.

And really if you ditch the lower light and the harmonica on the 18 F-150 the '19 Ranger does kind of match. Headlight and grille shape are similar. About as much in common as a bullnose and a first gen.

1- Everything besides the F series is an afterthought to ford. I for one think this "global" crap everyone (besides dodge) is going to is utter BS. This is america, not europe. The reason fullsize trucks sell so well is because they are really the only "american" design still rolling around. What works in europe doesnt work here, and vice versa.
Actually "euro" styling is what put the Mustang on the map and they have reverted back to it every so often to pull it out of sales slumps. New and different works.

Ford hasn't made cars that interest me since the 60/70's and even then I could cover it with about three models (Mustang, Torino, Fairlane) After that everything but the Mustang became disposable appliances. :dntknw:

TrackRider54

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'd go out on a limb and say the Ranger will be the #1 selling mid-size truck in the USA and the World inside of three years. Ford knows trucks. It's their bread and butter.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd go out on a limb and say the Ranger will be the #1 selling mid-size truck in the USA and the World inside of three years. Ford knows trucks. It's their bread and butter.
They know how to work the fleet market too.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
They know how to work the fleet market too.
Even though they gave up a huge chunk of it in 2011 with the axing of the crown vic, then in 2014 with the Econolines.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even though they gave up a huge chunk of it in 2011 with the axing of the crown vic, then in 2014 with the Econolines.
They did replace the Econoline, they ran that van into the ground a long time ago.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals