• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Two batteries?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was wondering if anyone runs a dual-battery setup.
Where did you mount the second battery? do you use a battery isolator?

I'd love to see pictures of anything people have done.

Thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Lots of people have done it here. They do it lots of different ways depending on what they wanted to do with it.

Go search for it.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Both of mine are in the bed,one on each side behind the cab.
I used an isolator.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah? So thats just a switch designed for turning off the batteries on a boat? Cool.
Where did you pick it up?
yea pretty much im gonna use it between the 2 batterys and put all my lights on. i bought it off they guy i work with at the body shop. he had it for his boat but had to sell it.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea pretty much im gonna use it between the 2 batterys and put all my lights on. i bought it off they guy i work with at the body shop. he had it for his boat but had to sell it.
So use it to disconnect one battery from the rest of the circuit, and run all your lights off the one you disconnect?

Is a stock alternator plenty capable to deal with a 2-battery system?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
So use it to disconnect one battery from the rest of the circuit, and run all your lights off the one you disconnect?

Is a stock alternator plenty capable to deal with a 2-battery system?
yea pretty much not sure on how im doing it yet because there is a few ways it could be done but all my lights will still work some how. i might just keep my reverse lights on my 1st battery and my 4 kcs ill put them on the 2nd battery cuz they draw more power. the stock alternater might work but im thinking im gonna put a bigger one on even if i have to mod my bracket alot lol or even dual alternators would be something to look in to if ur running alot of stuff.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea pretty much not sure on how im doing it yet because there is a few ways it could be done but all my lights will still work some how. i might just keep my reverse lights on my 1st battery and my 4 kcs ill put them on the 2nd battery cuz they draw more power. the stock alternater might work but im thinking im gonna put a bigger one on even if i have to mod my bracket alot lol or even dual alternators would be something to look in to if ur running alot of stuff.
I just want something that'll run my stereo and/or lights without leaving me stranded. I have an auto, so I can't pop start her. :bawling:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
if its running with lights and stereo on both at same time it shouldnt be a problem. i would get a good trusted battery for ur starting battery and keep ur radio on it then hook up the lights to another deep cycle battery with a wire going from the alternator to the pos on the battery. then make a ground wire going from the neg- to the block some place. this will keep it charged all the time and if it ever were to die u still have ur starting battery unless u kill it too then ur screwed lol

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Im running two optima blue tops on the flat bed behind the cab. Run 00 for the positive and a main ground block under the hood as well as 0 for a ground for each batt. Anytime I am running the rig I pull off both batteries. Anytime its not running for at least a few hours both batteries are disconnected from each other and the main chassis grounds.

I run a 140 amp GM one wire alternator. With this setup I can run my axillary lights and winch as much as I want and still have juice. Oh and I have two winches and they both get used heavily.

I can get some pics if needed?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im running two optima blue tops on the flat bed behind the cab. Run 00 for the positive and a main ground block under the hood as well as 0 for a ground for each batt. Anytime I am running the rig I pull off both batteries. Anytime its not running for at least a few hours both batteries are disconnected from each other and the main chassis grounds.

I run a 140 amp GM one wire alternator. With this setup I can run my axillary lights and winch as much as I want and still have juice. Oh and I have two winches and they both get used heavily.

Thanks, but the pics probably wont be neccesary. I have a b2, and was planning on keeping the 2nd battery under the hood if I put one in.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual

I would like some pics lol

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The Easiest and slickest dual battery installation is on Gen3 trucks.

on a 1993-94 it's literally "child's play" to install a 1990-92 Ranger or 1991-94
Explorer battery tray and mounting bracket in the big empty hole on the passenger side.

you can get away without an "isolator" if both batteries are identical
(same make, size and condition) if you want a backup battery that is
normally isolated you'd need an isolator, however the insertion of an
isolator that prevents the two batteries from "seeing" each other also
causes a voltage drop at the battery typically 1.2Volts

Unless you buy a Rather expensive one that uses Schottky diodes
(which cause far less voltage drop, typically 0.7Volts)

The other issue is that the isolator you get must be capable of handling
your maximum alternator output, the "little" isolators that you see everywhere
with 1/4" threaded studs are usually only rated for 70amps.

the isolator I have sitting on my lap (literally I went out into the shop to grab
it so I would spell "schottky" correctly) has BRASS 3/8" studa and is rated for
140amps, that's 140amps Continuous... this bugger is huge it's literally the size of a loaf of bread

It looks like it's made on the same aluminum extrusion that the little three stud isolators
are made on the difference is that the studs are 4" apart and the piece of extrusion is
long enough that if I sawed it up to make the "little" ones I could make four of them out
of this 12" long chunk of aluminum.

How expensive was it? I have no idea and I'm actually kinda scared to find out...
I got it out of an ambulance in the junkyard.

Now, you've got your second battery installed and isolated so it charges when the
alternator is spinning, but how do you get the power out of it?

For that you either need to open the hood and jump-start yourself with a couple of
jumper cables (actually only one as it would be presumed that you'd connect the
negative of both to ground)

OR the much more "elegant" solution is a big relay (a little starter relay won't cut it)
and a switch to turn it on, and lastly a BIG BRIGHT yellow, orange or red indicator lamp
to remind you that it's switched on to remind you to turn it off again.

AD

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals