• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric fans

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
man, since I have a mechanical fan on my truck, my subwoofers must be the reason why my ranger gets shitty gas mileage by making the alternator work so hard! Finally I figured it out...
If your amp is pulling the MAX current from your alternator, you will be in trouble with an e-fan!

Driving habits affect gas mileage more than anything else.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Battery?

You don't have a clue about the voltage spikes the alternator puts out without a battery connected!!

Once again, you are showing your technical ability (or lack of).

c'mon bob....i dont drive around all day with my battery disconnected. i have a feeling you know i was outlining the point the 28 amps at max...or 14-18 amps in normal mode were probably not taxing the battery.

my lack of technical ability:icon_confused: right.

i am aware of the voltage spikes, wild ac and all that fun shit....and do have modded alternators to weld with....with my gas engine it was electronically throttle controlled to produce the necessary voltage to run my powertools (brushed of course) and weld. sometimes i weld with the batteries too...just plain ol batteries...all done at home by my inept tiny minded self.

when the batteries are disconected for welding reasons alternator puts out between 13 and 18 volts in normal mode.. when switched to weld i crank it up to 100 plus when i need to use the grinders/drills/sawzall... when welding i control output with a gm type rheostat for interior lights from a jeep. but i only do this because of lack of technical ability.

i dont have a throttle control on the diesel yet, but i plan to overdrive the air compressor and secondary alternator for welding that used to be on my gasser. real estate is at a premium.
but i will get it going as i will need this option again soon..

i am wondering if your ever going to have the spine to realize you may not be applying your knowledge to its fullest capacity and have made mistakes in your attempt to debunk this issue because you can not get around your preconcieved notions....i myself am guilty of proceding with my mind and being a bit stubborn. on this very subject years ago i was exactly like you. but i had to figure out a way to deal with the issues at hand and have come to this point.

i am not full of shit and can prove everything i have and do.

i am trying to not disrespect you because i do recognize you have superior intellect on many many issues...far surpassing me. i have no shame admitting that at all. and that further puts me out ... how you can be wrong and move right past it...and i think you know it too.

your intellectual dishonesty with this is quite surprising

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
c'mon bob....i dont drive around all day with my battery disconnected. i have a feeling you know i was outlining the point the 28 amps at max...or 14-18 amps in normal mode were probably not taxing the battery.

my lack of technical ability:icon_confused: right.

i am aware of the voltage spikes, wild ac and all that fun shit....and do have modded alternators to weld with....with my gas engine it was electronically throttle controlled to produce the necessary voltage to run my powertools (brushed of course) and weld. sometimes i weld with the batteries too...just plain ol batteries...all done at home by my inept tiny minded self.

when the batteries are disconected for welding reasons alternator puts out between 13 and 18 volts in normal mode.. when switched to weld i crank it up to 100 plus when i need to use the grinders/drills/sawzall... when welding i control output with a gm type rheostat for interior lights from a jeep. but i only do this because of lack of technical ability.

i dont have a throttle control on the diesel yet, but i plan to overdrive the air compressor and secondary alternator for welding that used to be on my gasser. real estate is at a premium.
but i will get it going as i will need this option again soon..

i am wondering if your ever going to have the spine to realize you may not be applying your knowledge to its fullest capacity and have made mistakes in your attempt to debunk this issue because you can not get around your preconcieved notions....i myself am guilty of proceding with my mind and being a bit stubborn. on this very subject years ago i was exactly like you. but i had to figure out a way to deal with the issues at hand and have come to this point.

i am not full of shit and can prove everything i have and do.

i am trying to not disrespect you because i do recognize you have superior intellect on many many issues...far surpassing me. i have no shame admitting that at all. and that further puts me out ... how you can be wrong and move right past it...and i think you know it too.

your intellectual dishonesty with this is quite surprising

You have obviously never used an oscilloscope!!!

And I suggest you google, and read up on what di/dt is!!

:D:D:D

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
You have obviously never used an oscilloscope!!!

And I suggest you google, and read up on what di/dt is!!

:D:D:D
not like i used too. just my lil freq meter building efi harnesses mostly testing map bap sensor.. i may even have a oscilloscope in storage somewhere.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
This is like deja-vu.............................

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You guys are bringing up examples from other types of vehicles, and none of them really apply to the 3.0 Ranger. Just because a mod works on one type of vehicle, doesn't mean it works on another completley different vehicle. And just because it doesn't work, or has little effect on mileage/performance on heavy duty trucks, doesn't mean it can't help out the little 3.0 Ranger. (just because headers work well on a mustang, doesn't mean they do much on a 3.0)
Bob and Jim, you guys seem to be intelligent men who are capable of free thought. You must be able to see that your references to other types of vehicles have little to no merit here. The only examples that really apply here are the first hand accounts from guys that have used them one their 3.0 Rangers. It's fine to be skeptical, and use theory to show both sides of a discussion, but anectdotal evidence trumps theory.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You guys are bringing up examples from other types of vehicles, and none of them really apply to the 3.0 Ranger. Just because a mod works on one type of vehicle, doesn't mean it works on another completley different vehicle. And just because it doesn't work, or has little effect on mileage/performance on heavy duty trucks, doesn't mean it can't help out the little 3.0 Ranger. (just because headers work well on a mustang, doesn't mean they do much on a 3.0)
Bob and Jim, you guys seem to be intelligent men who are capable of free thought. You must be able to see that your references to other types of vehicles have little to no merit here. The only examples that really apply here are the first hand accounts from guys that have used them one their 3.0 Rangers. It's fine to be skeptical, and use theory to show both sides of a discussion, but anectdotal evidence trumps theory.
This isn't rocket science.

A 3.0 makes heat just like any other engine, and the point of a fan is to speed up the removal of heat from the radiator. All it has to do is turn and move X cubic feet a minute when needed, the same as a mechanical fan.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This isn't rocket science.

A 3.0 makes heat just like any other engine, and the point of a fan is to speed up the removal of heat from the radiator. All it has to do is turn and move X cubic feet a minute when needed, the same as a mechanical fan.
I completley agree. I have an e-fan on my 3.0 and have had ZERO issues with it's reliability or cooling abilities over the last 2 years. I am very happy with it. I was simply saying that theses examples that people are bringing up using other vehicles can't be compared directly to 3.0 Rangers. The thread was not started to argue whether e-fans work in general, but to decide how well they work on a 3.0 equipped Ranger. The only people who can truly answer that question are those who have put an e-fan onto their 3.0 Ranger. Everything else is just conjecture/theory.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i can believe i read all this shit, this is retarted. i want my 25min back!

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Im looking around to find an electric fan kit to replace the mech. fan. Would i be better off with dual smaller fans or one big one? Also what size fan would be the minimum to sufficiently cool? Ive seen from 7 inch all the way to 18. thanks.
Why must everyone everyone disregard the OP in these situations? All that was asked was whether it was best to have two smaller fans or one single large fan, and youve turned this into a giant waste of time. I come to this site less and less because quite simply, anytime someone asks about something like this, they are immediately shouted down and the fighting begins. Can't someone just answer his question? If its a situation like someone posted a few days ago, where water pump is shot, fan blades are beat to hell, and clutch is froze, and you need to replace it all ANYWAYS, then if that person wants to do with their vehicle what they want while they have it apart, answer their questions as relevantly as possible. The patronizing attude of some people on this site is driving me further away from this site and the people on here. I had considered asking if someone could put up a wiring diagram for installing an electric fan once, but realized it would just turn into a thread just like this one.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well, what fun is it to not patronize??

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Why must everyone everyone disregard the OP in these situations? All that was asked was whether it was best to have two smaller fans or one single large fan, and youve turned this into a giant waste of time. I come to this site less and less because quite simply, anytime someone asks about something like this, they are immediately shouted down and the fighting begins. Can't someone just answer his question? If its a situation like someone posted a few days ago, where water pump is shot, fan blades are beat to hell, and clutch is froze, and you need to replace it all ANYWAYS, then if that person wants to do with their vehicle what they want while they have it apart, answer their questions as relevantly as possible. The patronizing attude of some people on this site is driving me further away from this site and the people on here. I had considered asking if someone could put up a wiring diagram for installing an electric fan once, but realized it would just turn into a thread just like this one.

your right. and i feel like a douche too. i apologize to the op.

time to make a how to sticky i guess. proper setup is critical.

the variables are huge, and it is why i dont have a full setup guideline. fitting a good fan using diy junkyard stuff isnt so easy as my preferred fan does not fit on a 4.0 very well and i have not tried it on a 3.0 yet. fits the 2.9 with smaller regular radiator though.
16 inch will be good for a 3.0. the way in which it is controlled is where the issues start. and the intended enviroment in which it will be run...

basic setup i suggest is what i posted here..
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99687

done correctly there is only gains to be had with it.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
time to make a how to sticky i guess. proper setup is critical.
Thank you. I feel this is whats most lacking. There are plenty of people on here with e-fans and I feel a write-up on this would help those of us who want to try this out. i've tried looking on other sites and have picked up ideas that I'd like to incorporate (like a light that lets you know when the fan is working, a sor of "fault light" to let you know if a fuse is blown or something so you know before your temp gauge pegs out). The one write up in the tech library is a basic illustration of a kit and doesnt seem to really show much step-by-step instruction.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you. I feel this is whats most lacking. There are plenty of people on here with e-fans and I feel a write-up on this would help those of us who want to try this out. i've tried looking on other sites and have picked up ideas that I'd like to incorporate (like a light that lets you know when the fan is working, a sor of "fault light" to let you know if a fuse is blown or something so you know before your temp gauge pegs out). The one write up in the tech library is a basic illustration of a kit and doesnt seem to really show much step-by-step instruction.

Thanks James! You have just added more reasons to stick with the mechanical fan/clutch!! :D:D

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals