• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are sports playoffs rigged?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
More looking for opinion and experience in these matters...
I don't watch enough of the other leagues and mostly stick to hockey even though Toronto has teams in every major sport so I don't know if there is a pattern.

I did a quick search and saw that this actually happens quite a bit around the world but I was interested in North America mostly.

examples:

Houston gets devastated and the Astros are on the verge of winning the World Series (2017).

Boston gets attacked by terrorist bombing at the marathon and the Bruins make the playoff finals while the Red Sox won the World series (2013).

I do vaguely recall hearing someone talking about this years ago but I wasn't much of a sports fan at the time and never really paid much attention. I just noticed the Astros were winning and tried to remember other teams that won in the same year as a natural disaster (not counting airplane crashes wiping out teams).

I'm sure these were the effect of a team of professionals playing at exceptional levels to give their hometown fans the miracle they need to make them move forward...but I can't help thinking there are those who may see it as a rigged outcome.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Of course they are. Professional sportsball is about as genuinely competitive as WWE. Or that match in the 70s where Rocky Johnson fought six midgets.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh stop, it's not all about the money

It's just MOSTLY about the money :)

Human beings survived this long by seeing patterns in things, even when there are none, it's part of being "aware" of things going on around you.

Apophenia is the tendency to attribute meaning to perceived connections or patterns between seemingly unrelated things.

As far as local sports teams winning after a natural, or man-made, disaster, it would have to happen far more often to make a valid connection.
But that being said people often look for support after an "event", i.e. join with a larger group, so increased Fan attendance at sports events might boost the players moral which makes for better results.

It is just the way most of our brains work, and how we get conspiracy theories and Jesus's face on toast

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Of course they are. Professional sportsball is about as genuinely competitive as WWE. Or that match in the 70s where Rocky Johnson fought six midgets.
:icon_rofl: I have a feeling that is a true story...but I will have to check it out and see if there is a video...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Oh stop, it's not all about the money

It's just MOSTLY about the money :)

Human beings survived this long by seeing patterns in things, even when there are none, it's part of being "aware" of things going on around you.

Apophenia is the tendency to attribute meaning to perceived connections or patterns between seemingly unrelated things.

As far as local sports teams winning after a natural, or man-made, disaster, it would have to happen far more often to make a valid connection.
But that being said people often look for support after an "event", i.e. join with a larger group, so increased Fan attendance at sports events might boost the players moral which makes for better results.

It is just the way most of our brains work, and how we get conspiracy theories and Jesus's face on toast
Yes I've heard of apophenia and all that stuff about seeing patterns...but this isn't imaginary of late because both Boston and Houston won major championships so it's not like cloud gazing imaginary...

Although I did hear of many people seeing clouds that looked like Donald Trump a few years ago and they even had an orange glow to them...:)

The NY Giants competed in the Football championships the same year as the WTC attacks but they lost the series...I know that could be the team rallying to give the fans a boost or the other teams loosing to show brotherhood for them too...

nobody wants to hit someone when they are down...except maybe Ravens who needed the win to stay alive but that's all good.

Still looking into it though...any more input appreciated...maybe Cuba winning a soccer championship next year or one of the islands hit by the storms this year rebounding and producing championship athletes in olympics or other world games...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You better keep that theory to yourself

The "world order" may need some extra cash
They could bet heavily on say the Cleveland Browns at the start of the season, then "arrange" for some "events" in Cleveland to secure the win :)

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Oooops! That's right...I'm sure they have special Al Gore Rythms that can predict global warming and beat us down when needed...have to tune up my game to keep from showing my hand...:)

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recently came across a yootoob clip about that NFL games are rigged. Can't recall details but it showed the runner seemingly dropped his hands to avoid catching a pass. The other team won. Go figure... Plenty more videos of this conspiracy/pretend games if it piques your interest-

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I recently came across a yootoob clip about that NFL games are rigged. Can't recall details but it showed the runner seemingly dropped his hands to avoid catching a pass. The other team won. Go figure... Plenty more videos of this conspiracy/pretend games if it piques your interest-
Rocky Johnson and six midgets.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still cannot find anything but I saw Muhammad Ali getting into wrestling ring to fight Gorilla Monsoon on TV when I was a kid-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals