• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

add on guages

james hedman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 1988 ranger xlt with 2.9 5 speed. i would like to have more than a speedo and tach, with fuel and temp. i would like to have oil pressure, charging (amps). has anyone added new gauges like that, and what would i need to do to get this done?

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
JH ... I'm not ur best source, but you have some choices other than the classic three gauges suspended under the dash. I like the look of the windshield mounted gauges. If ur a street/sometimes off reader they are cool enough. $29 for thre guages. Beyond that you have to get handy. There just are no other bolt on mounts to my knowledge. Look in technical area of TRS for the story on building a console. Might get an idea there. Keep in mind too that above the mirror the roof has a place on some trucks where a console mount would bolt. You might put something u fabbed to hold guages there...but u will have to run wiring under the headliner. Go visit a wrecking yard and look at trucks near ur age group to see what is under the plastic and panels before you go crazy. Of course post pictures.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You '88 is OBD I so the OBD II units won't work.

But there are HUD units(heads up displays), that will do everything or one thing, they are neat, but pricey.

Pillar mounted gauges can be nice, you can get these in 1, 2 and 3 slot.

You could even switch out the whole instrument panel and go all digital :), I mean if money was no object.

You have an oil pressure switch on the '88, not a sender, so you will need to add a "T" to that oil port, so a real gauge can be added.
Or you can change the '88 oil gauge, if you have one, to a real gauge but jumping the resistor and change the switch to a sender

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals