• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TPS voltage test

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I was cruisin the posts as usual, and saw one or two that said that the screw on the throttle body was not a throttle stop but for the TPS adjustment.

I had a look in the tech library and couldnt see anything on how to test it and adjust it. Cause I'm pretty sure that I've buggered with it over the years. If someone could advise I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Should be about 1V with the throttle closed.

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where do you probe it from? It only has the plug doesnt it? How can you probe the sensor for voltage when the plug is unplugged....theres no power delivery is there?

I'm just going by what I remember seeing, I'll have a better look tomorrow and probably figure it out myself.

Thank MAKG

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
There's a good way to connect your meter leads without hacking the wires. The connector that plugs into the TPS has a rubber weather seal on the back where the wires go in. Just use a small flat-blade screwdriver to start this rubber plug out, then needle-nose pliers to pull it out of the connector. Now you can see the terminals, and you can slip your probe leads right in beside the two you need (the connector is still plugged into the TPS- you're probing from the back). I've done this on my '90 and '94; I think the '89 in your sig will be the same. I just tested the TPS on my '94, and the range was .8 to 5 volts. Don't remember, but I think the '90 was about the same. When you're done just push the rubber weather seal back in place.

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
AWESOME....thanks!

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is an easier way. I do this all the time.

Take a straight pin, like the ones in your grandmother's sewing kit, and stick it CAREFULLY between the wire and insulator. This is called "backprobing" and if you do it right, it won't damage anything and you won't even be able to tell it has been done once removed. In many (though not all) cases, it's possible to do this without even disconnecting the connector. The head of the straight pin can then be used to connect alligator clips to. WARNING: don't short it to anything. Sometimes that's benign, and sometimes it blows things up (especially the PCM or fuses), but it's NEVER good.

As for where to connect the TPS, they are almost always three-wire potentiometers. One wire is ground, one is power (5V -- NOT battery power), and the third -- usually the middle one -- is the signal. It's a good idea to measure all three with respect to the negative battery post, just to be sure. The measurement should be made between signal and ground. This should be the same as between signal and battery post. If it isn't, look for a grounding problem.

Most voltage measurements are done with the circuit completely assembled and powered.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals