• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to do with aging explorer

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
that's all fine and dandy for someone else to say if they're not in the same position. My explorer is almost 20 years old....if its rusted through the panels, then its a goner. Maybe I should consider going to a Ranger LOL. I WILL check the panels underneath, see what may or may not be cooking under there, then decide.
My car has to SELL first before any of this will happen....
I have only read the first page of this thread so I am assuming there is just an exhaust issue and other minor stuff. Just fix it. Rust doesn't make it a bad or unreliable vehicle. My DD is 14 years old and has 200k and a lot of rust too, not scared of keeping it though. You have a shit load of debt and a car that runs and drives. Obvious solution.

ChargerOnDavins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
two 2003, 1 200
Make / Model
3 Ford & 1 Dodg
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with the credit problem. Get that shit payed off this economy is only going to tank before it gets better. As long as this failure of an administration is in, we're in for an even bumpier ride than with Bush.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have only read the first page of this thread so I am assuming there is just an exhaust issue and other minor stuff. Just fix it. Rust doesn't make it a bad or unreliable vehicle. My DD is 14 years old and has 200k and a lot of rust too, not scared of keeping it though. You have a shit load of debt and a car that runs and drives. Obvious solution.

Yes, so far, that is the only real major issue is the exhaust is gone. The engine is the original engine, I am now estimating probably about 210K miles on the engine. I've done alot of upkeep on it :) Only time will tell if its that that goes first, or the tranny since both are the original parts. Or even the clutch. When my stang does sell, I HAVE to have a reliable vehicle. That is wherein lies the problem. I guess I can't worry about it breaking down until it happens, but then again, if that happens, I have no way to get to work etc....

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just don't worry about it. Put $500 aside in savings after you sell the car in case something happens to the Ex. If you buy something else and are back into car payments and something happens to the new car, you are right back at square one.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
True. I will do that. Save some extra $$$ from the sale of the stang just in case! I'm going to go underneath the ex now and see if i find the dreaded rust lol.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The ONLY rust that I have found is on moving parts underneath and on some of the frame rails. I poked and poked the panels underneath, and no holes formed. WHEE. Also the rust on the rear quarter panels at the top of the fenderwells is the only other rust on my explorer. Hopefully this is a good sign.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
well i'd say keep it... lol. that's my answer.
but you gotta do what's best for you. replacing it will be expensive and just get you debt again. i'd rather live not being owned by the bank.. why create more debt to get rid of debt?

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Exactly. I AM going to keep it. Fix it up as I can, and go from there. I just need my car to sell so I can pay off our darn credit card!!!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
that's sad. it really it. i wish i could buy a mach 1 lol.

just remember treat an RBV right, and it'll take care of you forever

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
RBV?

Yeah, don't wanna sell the mach, but I can't afford gas in her tank even..so...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
rbv, ranger based vehicle

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
OHHH ok lol. Thanks ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals