• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2 sas

chayse brooks

Reaction score
I want to do a 4bt bronco 2. I know that this engin ways up to 800 lbs not including the extras and transmission. What are the best axels to swap to handle the weight and what extras will I need to buy for the swap and what would I need to fabricate. Also would I need to box in the frame to handle the added stress

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't have specific answers, however the rangers of the same years have the same front suspension so looking at what people have done with the ranger/4bt would be a good start.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Dana 60s and yes box the frame and add some heafty crossmembers

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Unless there's something else I'm missing, I really don't think tons are necessary for a 4bt in a BII (the 4bt is the smaller 4-cyl version, if I recall right it's weight is about 750lbs, or roughly 350lbs more than the stock V6... the trans, probably adding another 100-120lbs or so). That'll put it real close to the same gross front axle weight as a stock V6 Ranger Supercab truck (~2250lbs).

I would say sling a Dana35 under there with the Ranger Supercab coils, along with an Explorer 8.8" rear, and you should be able to call it good (maybe beef up the engine crossmember a bit around the motor mounts if needed). Other than repositioning the leaf spring perches on the 8.8" it should all bolt right in and keeps your stock lug pattern. You'll probably want to get the leaf springs from the Explorer also as they'll be able to take the Cummin's torque a lot better than the stock BII springs will.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/D28_D35_swap.shtml
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.shtml

chayse brooks

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the 8.8 swap for the rear end but didn't know if it could handle the 4bt. This doesn't sound to hard also would I be able to keep ac or would I need to find a 4bt with power steering and ac.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Depending on what mods you will be doing to the 4BT, the 8.8 might not be enough. In stock 4BT form, it would probably be fine.

I believe A/C brackets would need to be fabricated. IIRC, you can find engines with a PS pump.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
wow

I was thinking of doing the 8.8 swap for the rear end but didn't know if it could handle the 4bt. This doesn't sound to hard also would I be able to keep ac or would I need to find a 4bt with power steering and ac.
No way the ultra puny Ford 8.8 could deal with the insane power levels, http://www.cumminshub.com/4bt.html , of this unreal bread truck engine.:icon_rofl:

All the cool Mustang, (500-1000 HP), guys run 14 bolt rears, at least!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals