• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anti Theft or Neutral Safety Switch or both

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Solved

For a couple of weeks I've been unable to start my 99 4.0 XLT automatic transmission when in Park. In fact it seems that the linkage is not allowing it to shift fully into Park. However, I have been able to start it reliably by putting it in Neutral to start. If I jam it into Park it seems to hold as long as I'm not on a steepish incline.

Today I started the engine drove less than 1/2 mile to the gas station, fueled it up and when I went to start it the engine fired up but immediately shut down. I tried several more times and most often got nothing except the started turning the engine over. A couple of times the engine roared to life only to die after a couple of seconds. Once the alarm started the horn beeping. I was able to shut it down using the remote keyless transmitter. After several more attempts I called for help and got towed back to my house. That's when I noticed that the "THEFT" light was flashing madly.

From what I've read in my owner's manual and from other threads on this forum it appears that the factory anti-theft system is causing the problem. Here's an exact quote from the owner's manual.

"If the theft indicator stays on for an extended period of time or flashes rapidly, have the system serviced by your dealership or a qualified technician."
I believe my truck has the SecuriLocksystem Are there any Ford techs here who would have some idea of what a dealership might charge to service this system? Alternately, is there a DIY way to simply reset the system or shut it down completely without disabling other features such as the remote keyless entry?

coopab

After tightening up the linkage of the steering column shift linkage I had to charge my battery and after that the flashing "THEFT" light went away and my Ranger runs again.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have 2 different issues

Because starter motor worked in Neutral but not PARK your shifter on the steering column is loose, which is a very common issue on Ford Trucks, not just Rangers.
Google: ford shifter loose

Lots of videos and How-To's out there

How old is your battery?

When using starter motor a battery's voltage will drop 2.5volts.
So a battery with 12.4volt(3-5 years old) will drop down to 9.9volts which is marginal but OK.
When a battery gets down to 12.0 volts, you drop to 9.5volts when cranking and that can cause issues with anti-theft and fuel pump and computer(starts then dies).

And when starter motors get older that can draw more amps so a 3volt drop is not uncommon.

In any case I would check or have the battery checked first

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
You have 2 different issues

Because starter motor worked in Neutral but not PARK your shifter on the steering column is loose, which is a very common issue on Ford Trucks, not just Rangers.
Google: ford shifter loose

Lots of videos and How-To's out there
Just looked at a you tube video. seems to be exactly what I need for the shifter issue.

How old is your battery?

When using starter motor a battery's voltage will drop 2.5volts.
So a battery with 12.4volt(3-5 years old) will drop down to 9.9volts which is marginal but OK.
When a battery gets down to 12.0 volts, you drop to 9.5volts when cranking and that can cause issues with anti-theft and fuel pump and computer(starts then dies).

And when starter motors get older that can draw more amps so a 3volt drop is not uncommon.

In any case I would check or have the battery checked first
I may have been unclear in my post. The starter cranks just fine. However it does not start. Once I noticed the rapidly flashing "THEFT" light I noted that the owner's manual suggests a problem with the factory anti theft system. The battery is only a few months old. Right now it is weak because I used it a lot yesterday trying to start it, but it will come right back if I put a charger on it for a few hours.

For now I'm heading out to tighten up the shifter. Thanks RonD

coopab

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals