• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

7.5 3.73 l/s spider gears bad

aklb43

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,

So I've got the 7.5" 3.73 l/s and the spider gears are bad. The teeth have been rounded off and chunks are missing out of them. I've done my research and there are no aftermarket parts to fix these. The dealer wants about 400$ for new spider gears rebuild kit and clutch packs.

I found a whole axle with about 55,000 miles for $450 at the local junk yard.

I read somewhere I could use spider gears from an open diff if the pin they accept is 3/4" dia. I don't know what the chances of that happening are.

I really just wanna get this thing back on the road, but I would also like to keep the traction of the l/s for the winter time, I live in Alaska.

Any advice you guys have will help.

Dave

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
L/S spiders and "regular" spiders are different. L/S spiders have extra teeth on them to spline to the clutches.

$450 is kind of high, but it's a lower mileage axle.

What year do you have? a 8.8" RANGER (NOT Explorer) axle will bolt right in, and may give you a few more options. Might be better since the 7.5" obviously didn't hold up. I ask because there are some flange differences pre-early 90's.

aklb43

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I actually have a 98 mazda b3000. That would be great if an 8.8 could bolt up. I would probably be cheaper too?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Cool, anything mid-90's or newer shouldn't be a problem.

B-series is still a Ranger with different sheetmetal and some different logo's on the interior. Otherwise mechanically identical. 8.8's are probably a little more common, and much more common with L/S units. Any rear axle from a Ranger or B-Series will bolt in. 7.5", 8.8" doesn't matter, just stick to mid 90's or newer to avoid driveshaft flange issues. If you don't have the 10" brakes, get them. MUCH better than the little 9" ones. The Ranger 8.8 should have the same size tubes, and you can re-use your u-bolts and spring plates.

Someone will probably chime in about Explorer axles, but they are NOT bolt in, unless you have a welder and basic fabrication skills. Not terribly difficult, but definitely, absolutely NOT bolt in.

aklb43

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good to know. I do have a welder and a grinder cut off the old perches, but why wouldn't I just use an already usable ranger axle and save myself the hassle? It's just my commuting work truck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Explorer axles are a bit stronger, but the Ranger axles are still plenty strong for the vast majority of use.

Ranger axles are 28 spline - 1.20? diameter, Explorer are 31 spline 1.31" diameter, and have larger wheel bearings. Explorers run the same drum brakes, but 95? and newer run disks (which require more custom stuff to make work, but is doable). The axle is maybe 1.5-2" wider than the Ranger rear end, it's not that noticeable at all.

I have the Explorer axle under my truck, just need to get the spring perch angle correct. I was faced with rebuilding my original 7.5", but after a detailed cost comparison, the Explorer axle was only something like $30 more expensive to completely rebuild, and I had one sitting around. Kind of a no brainer lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals