• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC/Heater problem

Newuser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've noticed that when I move the vent/heater control to the icons to the right of off the AC compressor kicks on. When moved to the left (vent position) this doesn't happen. Is it suppose to run in the heater position?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that is normal.

I believe the only two positions that can't demand compressor engagement are upper vent and Off.

tpginmaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You appear to have posted this again 7/8/15 as "New User" unless someone from Whitehall, MI had the exact same question about a week ago. Here's my answer again:

That's normal, at least for my '99. The AC system is not controlled directly by the TEMPERATURE controller. It is controlled by the position of the vent output dial.
AC On:
AC (Obviously)
AC Max (See above)
Floor/Dash
Defrost

AC OFF:
OFF (See above above)
Floor only
Dash only

Although counter intuitive, this is a very common practice across many manufacturers - at least for the defrost. It makes sense, if you think about it. Say it's 55F and raining. You get in your truck & your shirt & hair are wet, shoes dripping onto the carpet. What happens? Your windshield fogs up (condenses the water vapor). How do you get rid of that quickly? (You're already 5 minutes late "because of traffic" of course...) You dehumidify it. That's the AC part. But remember - it's 55F and you're wet. How much COLD AC do you really want at that moment? None. That's why you can control the temp. You're blowing AC air and mixing in some warm air via the blend door.

My manual says the AC works down to about 50F, but I had a car one time that would do it all winter (upstate NY at that time).

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yep, it's to dehumidify the air on wet cold mornings.

IMO, I do think it's stupid though that you can't control it on any mode outside of Defrost. If it was mine, I'd have a switch wired inline with the compressor clutch coil circuit to disable it when desired.

P.S., I removed the duplicate thread.
One active post at a time is appreciated. If after a few days you don't get a response, then you can try reposting it if you think it also fits in another forum as well (this is only to help keep board clutter to a minimum).

Thanks.
And welcome to TRS. :beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals