• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 ranger trans problem

hellersn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I am a new member and have an issue with my sons 99 ford ranger. It is a 3.0 flex fuel, 4x4, extended cab with a step side bed. I have put a motor 1 year ago, transmission 1 year ago, and steering rack in this truck this week. The truck went down about a month ago for the leaky steering rack and I have just lately been able to get the chance to repair it. The problem with the truck is it will not go from park to drive without slipping. The problem isn't happening constantly. Before it set for a month everything was working fine. My wife drove it to the alignment shop and it started acting up just today. When she put it in reverse at a parking lot it slipped and took a few minutes to switch into gear. I have had an abs trouble code on it for a while b1145 which says the right front speed sensor is faulty and I replaced the wheel hub but the alarm didn't go away. Today I also got a code that says b1102 acceleration switch circuit malfunction. When we put in the transmission the range sensor threw up an alarm but upon adjusting it, the alarm went away and hasn't came back. I have the original range sensor and can try it out but the code from what I can tell from all the posts is pointing to the sensor in the rear axle housing. The transmission will work correctly if I shift from 2 to drive and all the gears work great just getting overdrive to take off is the problem. I let the truck set for a little while today and the problem seemed to go away but once I drove it for a few miles and it warmed up it would start giving problems again. I have to much money rapped up in the truck now to just get rid of it and would like to think it can be fixed without putting another transmission in it. The transmission has a 5 year warranty from the place I bought it from but I can't help but think it is an electrical problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like to refer transmission questions to another forum, no offense to this one but they have a LOT of Transmission Tech over there.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386958

Start there and use search terms like "delayed engagement", "flare", etc.
I believe you have a 4R55E....might be a 4R44E, I can't remember which.

Common issues with these automatics are valve body seals (gasket), Shift/EPC solenoids, and governors. All are DIY repairable.

In your case, I doubt that your rear VSS is the problem. Your truck has 4WABS, which means you'd have an ABS Warning Light on if that sensor were bad. You'd also have a speedometer problem (none) if that rear axle VSS were bad.

Welcome to The Ranger Station!

hellersn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals