• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Low heat and coolant leak from front of engine.

91supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just thought I'd get your guys opinion on this matter. I bought this truck from my uncle a few years ago and have been battling low heat issues pretty much the entire time. I replaced the temp sensor and thermostat a couple years ago and got a little heat but not much. Just from reading I'm thinking I have a few things going on. First off i can't exactly tell where the coolant is coming from but it appears to leak all the time. Even when sitting overnight. It mainly drips off the pass side beam right in the center where it bolts in. I'm thinking maybe water pump. Also could explain the fact that the trucks temp gauge never gets much above C. Also I think maybe the clutch might need to be replaced on the fan. I don't notice any loud roaring really....but it always sounds the same. Btw before some one says it...the truck acts the exact same no matter if it's low on coolant or full. Heat is now different either way. Just kind of Luke warm. Also there is no antifreeze in the oil as I keep it changed religiously at 3k mi. Haven't really noticed any oil in the antifreeze but can't say for sure as I have only been adding more.

Any more input ? Or does it seem like I'm headed in the right direction? I think I'm going to replace all the parts listed along with another new thermostat , and new cap. Hoses have all been replaced right before I bought it.

91supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here's a pic..in this pic...left is pass side and right is drivers. You can clearly see a few drips of antifreeze bellow the ac compressor bracket. It's weird though because everything looks dry up top. Even everywhere around the water pump. I'm actually kind of stumped now. It actually wasn't all that low either and I havenr added in quite some time.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your leak is most likely from the timing chain cover, a wonderful design that has a very minimal gasket setting on a knife edge web on the cover that separates water from oil, and the outside world.

As for the heat issue, back flush the core, if your getting good flow, then look at the temperature control valve, it may have failed and blocking most flow to the core, but I think they generally fail wide open

JP02XLT

91supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You say it seperate the water from the oil as well? What if I'm not getting any water in my oil? Could it still be this?

I did notice also...some of where my oil leak is coming from...in the pic you can see some of the oil pan gasket kind of squished out of the front. Looks like maybe it was replaced and they torqued it down too much

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You say it seperate the water from the oil as well? What if I'm not getting any water in my oil? Could it still be this?
Why must people over-think simple statements like that?

Yes, the common failure of the gasket is an external oil leak. I have never actually seen the front cover gasket leak coolant into the oil.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have seen 1 instance of leaking water into the oil pan, it was a very very small leak, adsmo8 is dead on that most leaks with this result in an external leak, its about 60/40 oil to water that I have seen leak from the timing cover.

JP02XLT

91supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you both for the help. It definitely does look like I might have some oil and water both coming from the front side of the engine. No water in the oil and only losing about a quart in 2500 mi. But leaking some none the less. Btw That timing cover gasket looks like a chore to do for sure.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes your correct it is a pain as almost everything on the motor has to come off to get it off and you will need to loosen the front couple bolts on the oil pan as well.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals