• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

possible 1998 explorer purchase?

cjben

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is this the correct forum for a 1998 explorer? From all the threads I see on here, looks like this forum is about B2's and older explorers,but I couldn't find one for the newer explorers. Anyhow,I am considering buying a 1998 explorer.Ok, bare with me please,I have never owned an explorer or any ford SUV before,I have owned several older rangers/f100's and currently own a 95 f150 flareside extended cab 4wd. There is a listing on my local craigslist for a 1998 ford explorer limited v8 150,000 miles,4wd. I would be using this vehicle for my daily driver with occasional light four wheeling (snow, crossing muddy fields to load a deer during deer season,camping,etc.) so a couple inch lift and maybe slightly oversize tires might be a possibility. I am familiar with the 5.0.what are some weaknesses of this vehicle? Any transmission/drivetrain problems to look out for? Will the suspension/drivetrain hold up to a slightly larger tire? Feel welcome to add any pluses or minuses I may have overlooked. thanks!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The front suspension will be a major weak point for what you have in mind. The SLA independent front end used on the 95+ Explorers isn't as strong as the old TTB front ends were. They like to wear out ball joints and wheel bearings and with bigger tires you will go through them even faster.

I hate to plug Jeep parts, but a Jeep D-30 would be an upgrade over the IFS D-35.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
once they hit 150k miles they start to fall apart if not well maintained. look under the seats for stains and such(hard to spot areas where people normally wouldnt clean), check up under it for deep scratches on the frame or skids, look under the hood for anything that looks like someone took alot of time to clean. that usually can tell u the condition of the truck. check ALL of the windows numerous times and make sure they all work. check for rear main leaks, and do a stall test in all drive positions(including reverse) do alot of WOT runs from a stop and various speeds to get the trans to kickdown and make sure there isnt any shifting problems. try to drive 15-25 miles on the test drive if possible to see if the cel comes on. then when u are done with the test drive check all the fluids esp the trans and see if its burnt or has any funny stuff in it(be careful when removing radiator cap while hot).
the 5.0 is a good motor check the manifolds for cracks, and check the vacuum lines. see if the owner has any maintanance records as well. also check the radiator for cracks or jackleg repairs, they like to crack around the plastic ends. check for play in the water pump shaft if posible. and turn on all the accessories and a/c while at idle and watch the temp guage. do the same with heat. always good to do a compression check if u can as well, and put a vacuum guage on the manifold t.

as far as the lift do a torsion bar twist, and warrior shackles with 30x9.50 a/ts or mud. i really like my wild country mxt's

that should get u started, if all that checks out more then likely its a good vehicle. i always make sure i put a car(mostly ford automatics) through its paces to make sure there isnt any shifting problems that u can tell through normal driving.

also it can be a decent rig for light wheeling and adventure stuff like camping fishing etc. check out btf fabrications. they make a upper a-arm for use with torsion bar cranks that are really nice(about 400 bux, expensive but well worth it) i had a pair of uniball uppers from them on my 00 mid travel ranger and i loved em. also if u can jack up the front and check the tre's and upper and lower ball joints, and to see if the wheel bearings are ok. make sure u put it in 4wd in the grass when nobodys looking and stick your head out the window and romp it to make sure the front tires are spinning. nothing sucks worse then buying a 4wd electric shift and finding out it doesnt work(when u are already in the woods!)

also go about 55mph in o/d and tap the brake with your foot on the gas steady to see if the t/c unlocks(rpms will rise a little then drop when u let off the brake). alot of 4r70w's had lockup and o/d problems, most can be fixed with a filter and flush. at least the 4r70w i had was like that in my 97 5.0x

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
The 98's are a great vehicle if well kept. I'd love to find one for a daily driver to throw some 30's on it and ride. But everything the dealer said is right. Do that and if it passes, you're good to go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals