• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

real loud tickin

alabama0redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
it doesn't do this when crunk up it ticks real bad when you let it warm up i put a can of sea foam in it. it stop for a while and does it now we think it might be a valve or something can i put any thing in it to stop it my dad said we could rebuild the top end its a 1990 2.9 l 5 spd my dad just gave me the truck cuz my other 2.3l got taken away from me when i moved to my dads :annoyed:BUT OH WELL i like the 1990 model better any way got any ideas what i could do :icon_confused:just ready to :3gears: down the road thanks all help apreicate

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
compression check would help.

when was the last time you changed the oil filter? filter might be faulty. Also get a mechnical oil pressure guage and see what you're pressure is, both cold and after it is warm.

alabama0redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
i dont think that has anything to do with it me and my dad think its a lifter

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Chances are you will change lifters or other valvetrain components and the ticking will still be there. the 2.9 is known to have crappy oiling to the valvetrain because of cam bearing wear. Checking your oil pressure with a real guage is something you should do. As well as changing your oil if the condition of it is unknown. Try to stay away from fram filters as well, it has been claimed that they do not flow enough oil and they may add to the ticking problem.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I used a Fram oil filter the first few times I changed my oil and wondered why the oil level was about 1/3rd of a quart over the full mark when I put in 5 quarts. I put on a Motorcraft FL 1A? after reading here about problems with Frams colapsing inside and dropping the oil pressure and now it seems to hold a little more than 5 quarts. You might try a quart of Lucas,it's not that expensive and seems to work well. Mine still has a tick until I rev the motor but it's not horrible.

alabama0redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
thanks all just a little confused but i think i am swaping in a 4.0 i think

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
If you put the seafoam in the oil, which I don't recommend, it'll free up those pushrods even more by removing buildup, etc. So they will tick louder afterwards. Mine did the same thing. Seafoam is not meant to leave in the engine very long. Basically until it warms up and then change the oil.

Good luck with your swap if that's what you decide to do.

GB :)

alabama0redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
thanks.:annoyed: it did get louder i will drive it but my dad wants it fixed i am wanting to make 4wd to gonna take some:icon_welder: dont really no to much this is m first truck and build so wish me look how hard is it to do 2wd to 4wd :icon_confused:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks.:annoyed: it did get louder i will drive it but my dad wants it fixed i am wanting to make 4wd to gonna take some:icon_welder: dont really no to much this is m first truck and build so wish me look how hard is it to do 2wd to 4wd :icon_confused:
Hard enough that it's more practical to buy a new truck with a 4.0L and 4wd. You will not only save money, but also your time. Don't get me wrong, It's fun to take on projects, but it's best to go with something factory if it's already been done before. Might as well start with the platform you want for your build. IMO

Pete

alabama0redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
idk about the 4.0 but 2wd to 4 wd is going to happen my dad has a freind with a lift, very good welder, and any tool i will need so plus my dad so just need parts :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals