• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tire conundrum...learned something new...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
BTW...that should read "conundrum" not sonundrum...:) Fixed.

So I've been thinking about replacing the front tires on the Dodge Van...which is front wheel drive. I just had a long discussion with a tire replacement service center in town and they told me if I want to put two snow tires on the front they would not install them on the vehicle.

If I want to put 4 snows or try to match the all seasons they can do that. They just don't want to be liable for the possible tracking problems or the possible spin out that having more tread on the front can cause.

Front wheel drive snow tires only on front...the rears are in good shape with plenty of tread...not like they are nearly bald...like me...

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I see a lot of tire shops saying “new tires go on the rear first”

They try to argue that you can fish tail when coming to a stop with worn tires on the rear

My logic? With most of your braking. All your turning. And most of your control coming from the FRONT of your car or truck. I’m sticking with the new tires on the front logic. Don’t slam the brakes. And don’t floor it. And you will avoid most fish tails

Common sense needs to be a course in schools nowadays..........

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
TireRack used to have test track video showing exactly why new/best tires should be on the rear.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Well, you're probably not going to change their minds. So.....

Let them put the two new tire where they want. Then swap them around when you get home.

Or... ( my favorite)

carry the wheels to the shop in the cargo area of the vehicle or in a different vehicle and tell them " I want blah blah model and size of tires mounted and balanced on these wheels." Then go home and put them on the vehicle the way you want. It's more work but less stress.

Eric B

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think a lot of their logic is to have the good tires in the rear to keep the rear planted for braking and turning.

It is supposed to be safer.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
From the Globe and Mail (a Canadian Newspaper): https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/shouldnt-the-new-tires-go-on-the-front/article621608/

From Tire Rack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

From Active Green Ross (I've never heard of these guys): https://www.activegreenross.com/completetireandautocentreblog/replacing-two-new-tires-do-they-go-in-front-or-back/

From Souza's Tire Service (I've never heard of them, either): https://www.souzastireservice.com/tires-101/front-or-rear.aspx

I got these from Google. I didn't pick and choose, I started at the top, and worked my way down. I got a consensus - put the better tires on the rear. It's not what I was taught for a FWD vehicle, but I'm OK with being told that my Dad was wrong (he wasn't, really, in the days when FWD first came out, that was the standard practice.

One of the articles actually suggested that what you really want to do is replace all four tires, and rotate them frequently to even out wear. That actually makes sense to me.

FYI - There were more articles than just the four that I read. If you want more, they're listed here: https://www.google.ca/search?client=opera&q=where+should+i+put+my+new+tires+front+or+back&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used to work at sears auto center and they would never install snow tires on the front unless you had good snow tires on the rear ONLY because the rear could slide around corners. That's what we always went by and people normally never had an issue with it. Just get the tires put on and rotate them yourself if you want the snow tires on the front. I personally have been in the situation of a slushy road, running late to work, and my rear end getting loose on a front wheel drive stratus and luckily I was able to straighten in back out. skipped a heart beat a few times in the process and luckily there wasn't oncoming traffic or I would have hit them being sideways in there lane. That's what happens when you have good tires on front and bad on back. Car seems to drive good until you hit a sharp corner, then the rear give out.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions. And thank you to the moderator who corrected my typo...:)

Yes, I found a few articles online too and the links were helpful. I read all those and realized that they were all talking about the same thing...driving on roads at highways speeds and losing traction.

The front tires are getting worn and need to be replaced. The rear tires are about 70% tread left on them so I just need to replace one set.

I drive in town 99% of the time now and my biggest concern isn't even stopping. It is getting traction off a dead stop in town on slippery roads. And even that is only about 10% of total winter driving because the roads are clear and well maintained most of the time.

If I wasn't considering snow tires I wouldn't have posted this at all...but it came about that I should consider them and that's when I ran into the issue of the store refusing to install one set on the front.

Having driven a RWD Ranger for 14 years I always put the new tires on the back because that was the drive axel. Until now I thought the drive axel made the difference...but now I understand why....

I just hate it when someone tells me something that doesn't make sense so I need to find out from others...not necessarily reading articles but people with experience...

And that's why I thought it needed to be shared...if someone as smart, handsome, and humble as me can be fooled...:icon_rofl:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
2 out of 3 ain't bad.....
:icon_rofl:

Yes, and I'm not going to beg the question of which two...

I see you already decorated your avatar for the season's greasings...:)

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Since these are snow tires you're looking for, may I suggest that you consider purchasing six tires: Four winter/snow tires (studded if your area allows them), and two all seasons that are the same brand and tread as the tires currently on the van (four all seasons would be better, with four winters).

When you change your tires, label them. When you put the set back on, put the tires that are labeled front on the back, and the tires that were labeled back on the front. NOTE: Only do this if you are purchasing four all seasons and four winters.

By the way, if you buy four winter tires and four all seasons, you can cheap out a little on the all seasons, just make sure you change your tires before you get a lot of snow.

Side note: The reason your tires are unevenly worn is that they haven't been rotated regularly. Which reminds me, even though I have only put 1000km on my truck since I bought it last fall, I should plan to rotate the tires in the spring, assuming that they are of similar tread depth.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sounds like a plan...

I've had this vehicle 1.5 years and put maybe 4,000 km on it in that time. There really hasn't been any time to get into a rotation cycle and I don't expect my travel to increase too much in the near future...

My brother drove it for a few months before I took over the ownership but he only put a few thousand on the clock.

In the spring it will need one set of all seasons to replace the ones on the front. I might consider buying another set of snows so that it will be running 4 of the same but only if my travel increases.

Unless, of course, I move farther north where there is more snow and it sticks around a bit longer. It's still pretty green around here...but they are predicting a huge snow dump this week...putting the snows on tomorrow and looking forward to going sledding...:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals