• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gen 1 frame gen 2 frame.are they the same?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I want to know if the 1983-88 frames are the same as the 89-92 frames.i know the cab doors and bed are interchangeable.but how about the front.i also know the bumpers are a tad different.i want to bolt up a 1991 4.0 to my 1987 ranger.want to know if it'll bolt up without and modifications?tried to search forum couldn't find an answer to my particular question.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 4.0 is a big 2.9. It drops right in. Fuel lines and wiring are the biggest parts of the job.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Frames are slightly different - 2nd gen front bumper mounts are way different. 2nd gen front clip will NOT bolt onto gen 1 core support or vise versa. Virtually nothing is bolt on, plug and play stuff. You will have at least minor modifications with anything you are wanting to do.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
1987 2.3l to a 1991 4.0l swap

I was told I didn't have to do anything to fuel system if I put a 4.0 efi swap into my 1987 2.3l efi replacement.so will a 1991 4.0l and its mounts bolt right up to my 1987 with minimal issues.How much of a pain is the wiring from 1991 to a 1987 ranger?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Do you have the transmission that goes with that 4.0? and the radiator? those will not transfer over from your 4 banger...

AJ

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The engine will bolt in just fine. The 4.0 used particular fuel lines, so the connections and placement may not be direct fit. I know on both my 87 and 88 that I 4.0 swapped I had to change the barrels and shorten some stuff to make it all line up nice.

If you had a 2.3L you need to replace the trans and the radiator too.

The wiring isn't hard, but it can be time consuming to get it all correct and pretty. I can drop a 4.0 into a truck, splice three wires, and make it run in an hour. If I do it to make it look pretty and get everything done cleanly I will be at it for a month or more.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Do you have the transmission that goes with that 4.0? and the radiator? those will not transfer over from your 4 banger...

AJ
I have the complete 1991 ranger with the 4.0l.will crossmember line right up to the auto trans.my 4banger had a 5sp in at the moment.not sure about that yet?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
The engine will bolt in just fine. The 4.0 used particular fuel lines, so the connections and placement may not be direct fit. I know on both my 87 and 88 that I 4.0 swapped I had to change the barrels and shorten some stuff to make it all line up nice.

If you had a 2.3L you need to replace the trans and the radiator too.

The wiring isn't hard, but it can be time consuming to get it all correct and pretty. I can drop a 4.0 into a truck, splice three wires, and make it run in an hour. If I do it to make it look pretty and get everything done cleanly I will be at it for a month or more.
besides the fuel lines the fuel system itself should be fine right?i think they both have in the tank fuel pump.and there both efi.so the pressure should be ok to I hope.where did u find the wiring diagram that should which wires to splice to each harness?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the complete 1991 ranger with the 4.0l.will crossmember line right up to the auto trans.my 4banger had a 5sp in at the moment.not sure about that yet?
It is late enough there is a good chance the trans are the same length. You need to find out what trans you have for sure first though.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
An 87 5-speed is shorter than the A4LD. 88 started the long manual transmissions. The cross-member ears will need to be relocated, the good news is that the holes are already there. You just have to grind the rivets out and bolt the ears up in the rear set of holes.

Side note, the front hole for the rear set is the same as the bottom rear for the forward set.

I spent a few years at car shows and on Amazon and ebay rounding up factory wiring manuals and then I sat down and spent a month tracing wires, tracing diagrams, and building harnesses. Then I had a few gremlins to track down once I got it all installed.

Every swap is different, different donors, different recipients, different options. It is usually the wiring that is the worst.

Your 87 has a dual pump fuel system, but it will provide enough flow and pressure for a 4.0. It is actually capable of more than you need.

Be ware of the wiring. The EDIS module is not part of the harness, it is a separate piece that plugs into the harness, and the plug and most of the wiring for it is part of the headlight sub-harness. The headlight harness has to be changed, but the plugs on it are wrong for your bulbs, so the plugs need changed out.

It just one of those things, people can steer you in the right direction, help you figure out the broad strokes of what needs to be done, but you kind of have to figure out the details for yourself.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
An 87 5-speed is shorter than the A4LD. 88 started the long manual transmissions. The cross-member ears will need to be relocated, the good news is that the holes are already there. You just have to grind the rivets out and bolt the ears up in the rear set of holes.

Side note, the front hole for the rear set is the same as the bottom rear for the forward set.

I spent a few years at car shows and on Amazon and ebay rounding up factory wiring manuals and then I sat down and spent a month tracing wires, tracing diagrams, and building harnesses. Then I had a few gremlins to track down once I got it all installed.

Every swap is different, different donors, different recipients, different options. It is usually the wiring that is the worst.

Your 87 has a dual pump fuel system, but it will provide enough flow and pressure for a 4.0. It is actually capable of more than you need.

Be ware of the wiring. The EDIS module is not part of the harness, it is a separate piece that plugs into the harness, and the plug and most of the wiring for it is part of the headlight sub-harness. The headlight harness has to be changed, but the plugs on it are wrong for your bulbs, so the plugs need changed out.

It just one of those things, people can steer you in the right direction, help you figure out the broad strokes of what needs to be done, but you kind of have to figure out the details for yourself.
are the k members the same on the 91 to my 87.if so i should be able to use the 4.0l motor mounts and everything hope?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals