• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger SuperCab with "Flip Out" side windows?

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I did some googling and researching, but could not find out if any of the "4-door"(suicide style) SuperCab Rangers also had the "flip out" rear side windows?

And if a SuperCab (with or with out the extra doors) could be converted from "fixed window" to "flip out windows" on the side. (I currently have an 01 SuperCab 2 door with fixed windows).

I kind of want to make a "Frankenstein" truck and was wanting to get an OBD1 "chassis" and interior(at least the dash...skirting emissions) and put a SuperCab cab on it(preferably suicide door with flipout windows...just depending on what I can find with in the best condition really. and yes this will be a long term "project"...

Thanks.....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have seen them on the suicide doors, but the pop put windows were never common.

Its's pretty much just bolting in the new window assembly though, nothing difficult.

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info...I am looking through what is available on Ebay now, but havent seen a "suicide" door with flip out quarter glass......yet. I will be interested doing the swap if its just a bolt in. But also want to have the matching interior panels if at all possible.

Thanks again for the quick response. Very much appreciated. I was so disappointed when I got my truck and I found the rear quarters were not flip out. Truck was too a deal to pass up though. But yeah, I love those windows. All the way back to my Nissan King Cab days.

Ideally I would like to replace the manual fold out mechanism with one that is motorized...like from old minivan or other vehicle that had fold out windows in the back. Maybe Im just lazy, but I still think it would be cool.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My Dodge Caravan has the motorized flip out rear windows...my 88 Ranger had the manual flip out windows too...

I like them and use them quite often in warm weather or just wanting a bit of fresh air flow without opening the windows...

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
My Dodge Caravan has the motorized flip out rear windows...my 88 Ranger had the manual flip out windows too...

I like them and use them quite often in warm weather or just wanting a bit of fresh air flow without opening the windows...
Yup, the Caravan was where I got the idea from back when they came out with it to motorize my Nissan rear quarters. Did a couple, but nothing ever really "finished". Ended up cutting the top off the truck...heheh...full time vert.

Some dreams never die...just would love to see a stock ranger "suicide door" with flip out quarter glass.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
From what I remember (I thought about doing this to my '98 supercab with fixed windows, but just went with sliding rear window in the end):

The glass for a fixed window '94-97 was same part number as my '98, which would mean the hole in the sheetmetal was correct size and it is possible.

I'm trying to remember if the hinges*/latch used the same bolt holes as the fixed glass or not. There was something about this which made me drop the idea, just can't remember exactly what it was...

You would need to grab the gasket around the window, too. (Actually, you might want to get this new; see below)

*hinge is being generous, it is more like spring - a simple thin piece of metal that was attached to cab/bolted to window and you "flex" it when you open the window. And that explains why they often leak - after being opened a few hundred times over 20+ years, the spring has lost some of its pre-load and does hold front of window tight closed and then 65mph wind can drive rain in.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yup, the Caravan was where I got the idea from back when they came out with it to motorize my Nissan rear quarters. Did a couple, but nothing ever really "finished". Ended up cutting the top off the truck...heheh...full time vert.

Some dreams never die...just would love to see a stock ranger "suicide door" with flip out quarter glass.
l've had a few brainstorms that went south rapidly...lol

I will say though that the best solution I found are those plastic window covers that run up along the side of the window. It allows you to open the window while driving and in rain...I'm sure you've seen them...the only problem with them is they don't take too much abuse...I smashed one backing through a narrow driveway that was lined with cedar hedges...and you can't usually buy just one to replace a broken one.

Glass flip out works great on the Dodge but I've left them open more often than closed. I am planning to get vents for the Van as soon as I can because they help prevent ice from freezing the window shut...which drives me crazy in the cold weather.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
l've had a few brainstorms that went south rapidly...lol

I will say though that the best solution I found are those plastic window covers that run up along the side of the window. It allows you to open the window while driving and in rain...I'm sure you've seen them...the only problem with them is they don't take too much abuse...I smashed one backing through a narrow driveway that was lined with cedar hedges...and you can't usually buy just one to replace a broken one.
The rear ones on my F-150 were busted out in a hailstorm. You can not buy them one at a time you have to get a whole set.

They don't come off in one piece in a JY either (I have been trying)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals