• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible ignition coil issue

Rebourn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was performing routine maintenance on my 08 ranger sport 3.0l, changing the oil & filter, the spark plugs and plug wires, and recharging my K&N air filter.
Before performing any of this maintenance, I disconnected the negative on the battery. Changed out the oil and filter with no issue. Changed the plugs/wires with no issue. Recharged the air filter with no issue. Reconnected the negative. When I fired her back up, I noticed that the ignition was harsh and immediately I went to listen for misfires, which I could hear fairly clearly through the air intake. They were consistently sporatic with no pattern I could notice.
I cut her off, and disconnected the negative again. I pull each plug back out and re-confirmed the gaps. All were on point. I ensured the connections of the wire on both the coil and plugs were tight. Fired her back up and the same deal.
I'll mention I was using Motorcraft platinum plugs and Omni Spark plug wires. I picked up a set of Bosch iridium plugs, pre-gapped (I still checked them and they were spot-on), and Borg Warner plug wires. Rinse and repeat the previous actions and still no change.
At this point, I feel like somehow there is an issue with the ignition coil, even though there was not one prior to this maintenance. Now, I'm starting to step beyond my knowledge and expertise. I would like to know of anyone's opinions before I try replacing the ignition coil OR taking it into the dealership, which I don't really have the money for either. =(
Thank you so much for your help and spending the time to read this.

rangerjunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Check the firing order. I bet you have a wire or 2 wrong

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Rebourn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That was mentioned to me by the guys at the local parts store, but I swapped out the wires one by one, to avoid that possibility. I have also quadruple checked since then.

Last edited:

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe by disconnecting the battery you now have the ECM in a state where it is trying to relearn what it should know.

Ray

Rebourn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe by disconnecting the battery you now have the ECM in a state where it is trying to relearn what it should know.

Ray
Is that even possible? I wasn't aware that disconnecting the negative of the battery for a short period of time could cause the ECM issues at all.
I'm not sure of the type of memory used by the ECM, but I would assume firing order would not be stored in volatile memory or that is an extrememly poor design flaw. Considering the frequency of electrical work where you should disconnect the negative of the battery prior to performing the action, I would be quite boggled if this was the case.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
do you still have the old wire set? try putting them back on and see if there's a difference. (didn't see that you had in your original post, so forgive if i'm saying something you've already done). anyway, if there's a change for the better with your old wireset, i'd say you've got bum new wires.

I have seen it where the ECM clears and needs to relearn after only a few minutes of disconnect...

Rebourn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
drsvox
I tried two different new sets of wires from both Omni Spark and Borg-Warner and they both had the same effect.

Interesting about the ECM clears. From a computing stand point, that's an obscene practice, but maybe there is a reason. How long might it take to return to normal if that were the case?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
in my experience, the ECM clearing didn't really cause anything overly noticeable...some sluggish drivability maybe, but usually doesn't take long for the computer to relearn (a trip down the road to walmart, maybe a little longer). and firing order shouldn't be impacted by a negative terminal disconnect. so...not saying i'd recommend a drive test at this point, because I can't really hear what you're hearing, so that would be up to you.

your 2008 uses coil packs right? if you've double check plugs and wires (and they're seated properly) and everything else checks out, my guess is yeah, could be a coil pack.

do you own a multi-meter? I've done it once on a 90's explorer (but regrettably can't remember how to exactly)...you can pull off the coil pack and test it to be sure that's what it is. Youtube will likely be your friend in this endeavor...

not sure what else to tell you...

Rebourn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
in my experience, the ECM clearing didn't really cause anything overly noticeable...some sluggish drivability maybe, but usually doesn't take long for the computer to relearn (a trip down the road to walmart, maybe a little longer). and firing order shouldn't be impacted by a negative terminal disconnect. so...not saying i'd recommend a drive test at this point, because I can't really hear what you're hearing, so that would be up to you.

your 2008 uses coil packs right? if you've double check plugs and wires (and they're seated properly) and everything else checks out, my guess is yeah, could be a coil pack.

do you own a multi-meter? I've done it once on a 90's explorer (but regrettably can't remember how to exactly)...you can pull off the coil pack and test it to be sure that's what it is. Youtube will likely be your friend in this endeavor...

not sure what else to tell you...
Yeah, it's a massive performance decrease. It's like I'm driving a pinto with oversized tires...
It's no longer just what I'm hearing anymore. The CEL came on when I took her on a run for 10 minutes to the local parts store and they pulled the codes. There were 2 misfires on cylinder 5, 2 randoms, 1 on 4, and 1 on 1.
It is a coil pack, yes. It seems what you are recommending with testing it with a multi-meter is my next step.

Thanks for the help and insight so far, everyone.

SRich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3 EFI
Transmission
Manual
I have had bad experience with Bosch fine wire plugs in Ford engines. Tried swapping new to see if it was plugs but still had bad firing.

SRich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3 EFI
Transmission
Manual
Try going with the OEM

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
testing the coil should be fairly simple once you pull it off; I just can't remember which contacts to point at, and you'll need resistance (or current...again, can't remember) info for that specific coil.

if the coil pack is good, i'd def go w/ SRich's advice...might even try that first, save the trouble of pulling the coil off, researching, and testing...

HAPPY+RANGER+GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3 LIMA
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a set of Bosch iridium plugs, pre-gapped (I still checked them and they were spot-on), and Borg Warner plug wires. Rinse and repeat the previous actions and still no change.
What are you rinsing? Are the plugs torqued to the proper specification?

boosted2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I've gotten new plugs that had the gap almost closed, and had this problem, and I've closed the gap, but getting grime in the gap while putting them in. just saying.

gi728

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/ 2004/ 200
Make / Model
Ford/ Acura/ Fo
Engine Size
2.9/ 2.0/ 6.0
Transmission
Manual
I don't know about 2003, but on my 89, it having a distributor and all, turned out to be the ignition module. Just my experience.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals