• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear body mount support fix?

chad333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am looking to replace all body mounts, but the support that ties into the rear floor is rusted as well as most of the rear where the hatch closes on top of. I found this (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209961) which replaces the support beam, but would it be too much of a challenge to replace it all up to about the strikers the hatch latches to?

K-Slice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My rear mounts went totally through that rotted support on the body and now my hatch wont close all the way :/ And since I dont have a welder I cant do that fix..

The explorers used a different hatch I believe. Do some measuerements and see if it's the same width.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yikes,
That sounds like a lot of rust indeed. Oh it's always fixable, if your willing to tackle that level of sheetmetal repair. I had some rusted out area of the left side of my 87's hatch right were that support beam and the upright for the left latch are. I had replaced my right side quarter panel so I had the unrusted metal from the right to graft into the left. If both yours are rusted badly up to the latches and the hatch won't close now due to the sag of the rest of the back half of the truck you may have problem in getting the back realigned even replacing all that metal from a donor. Not saying it can't be done but that is a bit of work you have there. Good luck!

Last edited:

K-Slice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mines not rusted up the sides, just on the bottom. It looks like I could just find a long thin piece of thick steel I could use it to remount the body. It only sags on the side the stupid tire carrer was on...

chad333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's not rusted up entirely to the hatch strikers, but the whole support is pretty much shot. I saw a thread awhile ago on here or another forum using a piece of square tubing to replace the support, but i can no longer find that post. I have a welder and can decently weld sheet metal, so i will see what i can do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals