• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Bronco 2 Eddie Bauer 2.9l to 4.0l upgrade.

jakes86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've owned my B2 for a couple of years now. I'm going to start swapping my 2.9l for a 4.0l out of a 92 Ranger that came with a 5 sp manual trans. Since my B2 has the junk auto 4 sp, will the wiring harness from the Ranger work or should I take the harness out of my 94 Explorer and pull that and the auto trans out of the Explorer and swap that into the B2? As I have been reading my newly rebuilt auto trans will bolt up but won't last long behind the 4.0l, due to the difference in torque and horsepower. Is this right or not? Also, what else should I be looking out for with this swap as far as common problems go? Is everything fairly compatable? Sorry for all of the ?'s, but I need to know as much as I can before I start tearing into it. I'll try and attach a couple of pictures of my Bronco 2 later on.

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A4ld

You need to have the A4LD built to 4.0 specs. The trans was not bad, it just was built to soft. Take it to a reliable builder that knows these transmissions, and have it beefed up. I get mine done in Phx, and the guys know how to make this trans stout. The wiring from the auto to manual is a little different, that is due to the trans sensors. You will also have to change the computers, since there is one for the manual, and one for the auto. I don't know if anyone has been able to compensate for the differences.

jakes86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
86 b2 eb

Thanks for the reply ldbill39. The a4ld was just rebuilt like 1000 miles before the 2.9 crapped out on me,but it was just brought back to factory specs, so I need to have it taken back and beefed up how? I mean I don't want to trash out a new rebuild, but then again I can't really afford another $ 1100.00 worth of work either,ya know? Maybe it would be better just to pull the Explorer trans and hope for the best with that. It has over 150k but who knows it might last quite a while as a daily driver. Then I guess I'll pull the ECM out of the Explorer at the same time and be done with it. I just can't see spending a bunch of money on a second hand vehicle that I only paid $600 for in the first place. Even though I paid $1100.00 to get the trans rebuilt, oh well it's only money.. they still mint it and I still make it. The Bronco is in excellent shape with VERY little rust and a nice complete interior, so it is worth putting some money into, I just don't want to spend alot of time or money with the way the economy is right now. I paid $225.00 for the Ranger motor with 100k on it and it runs really good, and I already have a 94 Explorer sitting there with a shot motor but all of the other parts are good, so I hope between the 2 donors I can hook something up and have it running soon. I'm sure I'll be back to this sight a few times over the next month or so. Any other comments and or help is much appreciated, thanks.

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A4LD rebuild

Did the trans place rebuild the trans for the 4.0L or the 2.9L. Most good trans rebuilders will build them for the 4.0L, as the parts are stronger. The place I get my trans done is called 1 Stop Transmissions. They sell the A4LD's for $595.00, and they dyno them before they leave, plus they give a great warranty with it. Does your Exploder have a 4.0L and A4LD trans, or a different motor and trans combination? I have seen a couple of Exploders with the 3.0L engine out here in the junk yards. Good luck, if you need anymore help, just jump on here and someone might be able to answer your questions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals