• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1350 transfer case speedo gear options?

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First post, long time lurker. I have an issue that searches have not provided me the answer to and looking for some assistance.

I have a 1987 Ranger, that has gone through significant changes since purchased a couple years ago. my problem is that the speedo is reading LOW compared to actual speed.

2.3 Turbo 4x4
M5OD-R1 with 1350 manual TC
3.73 gears in front and back

current speedo cable gear is the 16 tooth wine colored gear- smallest gear that I am aware is available. When the speedo is showing 25mph, the truck is actually going about 31mph per gps. It's my understanding that to correct this I would need a smaller speedo gear to compensate for the variance.

My question is this:

Can the DRIVEN GEAR that is inside the transfer case on the output shaft be changed to a larger tooth count to correct my issue? I may at some point change axle gear ratios, but not ready to pull that trigger just yet. I have a Dana 35 TTB front, and 96-up 8.8 rear with LSD and disc brakes and factory 3.73's. I am only running 30x9.5x15 tires, with the likely intent that we will drop back down to P235/75/15 once I burn off the rest of the tread on the existing tires. The tire size reduction helps my speedo error, but not by enough.

Any help is appreciated, or if this needs to be moved to a more appropriate place in the forums please let me know.

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The gear in the transfer case is not selectable as far as I know. The only way to correct the speedo is to change the gear on the cable.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
There are two gears available inside the t-case, a 6-tooth (what you probably have now) and a 7-tooth. The 6T is red, the 7T, white.

AFAIK, no one makes these gears anymore so you'd have to find one in a junkyard most likely (1354s '93 & newer I'm pretty sure all use the 7T gear, my '94 had a 7T).

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a couple of each I believe, I just changed my T case on Sunday and didn't feel like dealing with silicone so I left the gear in that was there from the junkyard, which was of course different than what I need as my speedo is reading too fast by about 10% and I'm running a 21 tooth cable gear... was more accurate with the other gear but needed one less tooth on the cable gear. I have one of the white gears (what you need as they drive the cable faster than the red) that I would gladly swap you for your red one, only problem is I don't remember off the top of my head where I put the dang thing :), I'll try to look in the next couple days to see if I can find it...

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a couple of each I believe, I just changed my T case on Sunday and didn't feel like dealing with silicone so I left the gear in that was there from the junkyard, which was of course different than what I need as my speedo is reading too fast by about 10% and I'm running a 21 tooth cable gear... was more accurate with the other gear but needed one less tooth on the cable gear. I have one of the white gears (what you need as they drive the cable faster than the red) that I would gladly swap you for your red one, only problem is I don't remember off the top of my head where I put the dang thing :), I'll try to look in the next couple days to see if I can find it...
I think this is exactly what I need. Be happy to do the exchange with you if you find it. my 1350 is the original TC out of the 87 ranger I have. the M5OD is out of a 97 ranger. Let me know if you find the white gear and I will pull and ship mine.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Give me a couple days to go through my boxes of stuff, I moved in April and don't remember where I put everything... Mine isn't installed in anything so I'll send it to you then you can send yours after you get it swapped over, sounds easiest :)

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No rush, project is 26 months in, I can spare a little more time.:icon_cheers:

appreciate the help!

Mike

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Give me a couple days to go through my boxes of stuff, I moved in April and don't remember where I put everything... Mine isn't installed in anything so I'll send it to you then you can send yours after you get it swapped over, sounds easiest :)
Been a few (6) months since we last talked about the driven gear- any chance you have time to take a look and see if you have the one I need? RBV donors at the JY are becoming very scarce here in Colorado.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Look on CobraTransmissions website...they used to sell the drive gear. I looked in my stash...I have every driven gear option...but only one white drive gear, and the teeth look less than ideal.

I have noticed over the years...when using the low tooth count driven gears..they tend to chew up the drive gears since the teeth are so wide and make an odd contact pattern.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've been busy, sorry

I did find my bar to remove the rear output very recently, I'll try to fish that gear out of one of my cases...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The spare transfer case I have in my garage had the red gear in it... which I just pulled out thinking that's what you needed, I still haven't found the white one I have from my "other" spare transfer case, actually I just remembered I do have yet another T case somewhere, I'll dig it out tomorrow since it's not supposed to be a billion degrees out tomorrow...

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not necessary- I was wandering the JY this weekend and there was a TC already pulled sitting on the ground. yanked the seal off the end of it, lo and behold the revered white 7 tooth gear. they didn't charge me for the gear so I guess my $2 entry fee was my total cost. gear is already in, and according to gps I am dead on accurate at 65mph. I have the driven gears if I ever change tire sizes, and will be keeping the red gear if I ever go high enough on ring/pinion to warrant the use.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, :), I just found and removed the white gear I had in my hidden 1354E T case... Now I'll have to put the two I have removed somewhere safe, and maybe I'll find the other white gear.

On that note, I'm running the red gear right now I think with the 21 tooth cable gear with 5.13's and 35" tires, it's pretty close but reads a little fast, I think it read a little slow with the white gear, I think I have a 20 tooth cable gear somewhere (probably next to the other white gear...) which would probably get me right on.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have most colors of the speedo cable gear, and I am using the 16 tooth now so if you need 18-20 tooth let me know and I'll throw one in the mail to you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals