• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adding a turbo to a 302

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 302 im going to be putting in my truck soon, a friend of mine has a stock small turbo off his dodge neon we can put on it while we're at it. I have mustang tri y headers and want to know if i can just add the turbo under the cab by the end of the headers and run tubing back up or run tubing up to the turbo somewhere in the bay withought modifying the headers

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can absolutely do a remote mount turbo and avoid modifying your headers. You'll still have to fabricate some stuff though. Things like an airbox, y-pipe with the appropriate flange, and oil lines/pump to lubricate the turbo minimum. If you want to run an intercooler, that adds custom fab work too.

I'd also be a bit concerned that a turbo from a Neon wouldn't be the right size for your 302, but I'll let somebody with more experience weigh in on that part.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what is the compression ratio on the engine? Hyper or forged pistons?

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
what is the compression ratio on the engine? Hyper or forged pistons?
The pistons are stock ones from an f150, i was going to only run it at like 4 or 5 psi.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can absolutely do a remote mount turbo and avoid modifying your headers. You'll still have to fabricate some stuff though. Things like an airbox, y-pipe with the appropriate flange, and oil lines/pump to lubricate the turbo minimum. If you want to run an intercooler, that adds custom fab work too.

I'd also be a bit concerned that a turbo from a Neon wouldn't be the right size for your 302, but I'll let somebody with more experience weigh in on that part.
Could it end up blowing the turbo and hurting the engine? Or are you thinking it wont do much for it?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The neon came with a 2.0 or 2.4? In either case it's about half the size of the 302 [5.0l]. So I would suspect that running dual turbos would match the best. There is a lot more to it than what I just pointed out but it's been 30 years since I looked into turbos. More research is your friend.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The neon came with a 2.0 or 2.4? In either case it's about half the size of the 302 [5.0l]. So I would suspect that running dual turbos would match the best. There is a lot more to it than what I just pointed out but it's been 30 years since I looked into turbos. More research is your friend.
I think im just going to swap the 5.0 naturally aspirated for now and keep searching before i buy anything, powerstroke turbo would be cool though like the roadkill datsun

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could it end up blowing the turbo and hurting the engine? Or are you thinking it wont do much for it?
If the turbo is too small, it will boost really early on, and then just run out of steam and lose efficiency and heat up the intake air a bunch as your engine rpms increase. If that's the case, the gains wouldn't be worth all of the work in my opinion, and the increased IATs could hurt performance or cause detonation which could damage the engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals