• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 ford ranger lowering

dcm123123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello, just got a 1999 ranger yesterday, it has a 3.0 with a 5 speed. Guy said motor was locked up, we don't know they took the starter off before we got it. Anyways, I wanted the truck to lower it, not to much. Just enough to look amazing but be functional enough to drift it. I've included pictures of my truck, and what I want the end product to be close to. I guess my reasoning for the post as I'm a noob to the whole lowered thing, how would I go about doing this with money as quite a tight issue.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can drop the truck 2/2 for almost free by:
1. cutting the coil springs (cut half a coil at a time until it sits right. Any more than 3 inches of drop from the springs alone will make the truck unalignable.)
2. flipping the rear shackles (search for Ranger shackle flip or hanger flip).

The only way you're getting as low as the truck pictured is by starting with something like the DJM 4/5 kit, and then modifying/cutting some stuff.

The DJM kit gives 2 inches of drop with control arms, 2 inches with coil springs for the front.
In the rear it lowers it 5 inches with a flip kit.
You'll need new shocks and an alignment (probably have to buy alignment eccentrics to allow camber adjustment)

The DJM kit sells for $650ish. Shocks will be $200ish. Alignment + camber eccentrics will be $200ish. So all in you're probably looking at $1000 ballpark if you do the work.

Ricketts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I recommend the DJM 4/5 kit that stmitch mentioned above. I installed that exact kit on my 02 Ranger and couldn't be happier.

BayAreaRangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ricketts: What shocks are you running with the DJM 4/5. How's the ride compared to stock?

rangerharp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1998 Ranger 3.0
About to buy Max Trac 3" drop coils and 3-5" shackle flip.
First time dropping a ride.
1. Can I keep my stock size tires?
2. What shocks work best?
3. Any recommendations would help...

moore_savage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Did you have torsion bars in the front? I just ordered my DJM 4/5kit and I haven't really looked too much into the torsion setup. Do I just remove it and it's replaced with the DJM setup?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you have torsion bars in the front? I just ordered my DJM 4/5kit and I haven't really looked too much into the torsion setup. Do I just remove it and it's replaced with the DJM setup?
Torsion bar trucks are pretty different from the coil spring trucks. The front frames and control arm pick ups are different. Parts are not interchangeable, so the front parts of the DJM kit dont work on torsion bar trucks.

Jakeaboy360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1999 with the 3in max track drop coil and the djm control arms and it looks awesome but I’m having tie rod problems and I’m currently waiting form my tie rod extenders right now amd my upper ball joints about maxed out.

I have a 1998 Ranger 3.0
About to buy Max Trac 3" drop coils and 3-5" shackle flip.
First time dropping a ride.
1. Can I keep my stock size tires?
2. What shocks work best?
3. Any recommendations would help...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals