• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OMG! headlight bulb cost

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have had a few Cadillac CTS's over the years, great cars and not too expensive used, never had headlight bulb go out before.

Went down to get replacement bulbs because you have to pull the front clip off to get headlight assembly out to replace the bulbs, figure regular halogen bulbs at $15each, Canadian $

Pulled the assembly and they are not halogen they are HID Xenon bulbs, OK....
Went back to parts store with bad bulb in hand and my guy there looked up the part said "holy sh#t", knew that wasn't good, lol.

$189.....EACH
For a head light bulb only, not the assembly, not "installed", just for the one bulb.
I get a discount and he also took a bit more off so I paid $129, Canadian $
D1S 35w is the part

Needless to say I just replaced the one bad bulb

Yes I am old and HID head lights are fairly new so first encounter was pretty bad for me, lol.

I looked up the benefits of HID over sealed beam or Halogen.
Whiter and brighter light, OK but I have been driving 40+ years with the older style and never thought they were bad, and really don't see a difference driving my Ranger or the CTS at night, so a big "so what" IMO.

HID last 3 times longer, regular bulbs are $20, HID are $130, they should last 7 TIMES LONGER to make them better in that regard.
3 times longer, forget that give me the 3 halogens at $60

They are more stylish, well I guess you would have to know me better to know "that dog don't hunt".

I guess I will have to pay more attention to what my vehicles have as far as head lights.
Lesson learned.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, HIDs have many issues, the difficulty in properly retrofitting being one (since everyone seems to think they are so great and need them in a Ranger), the cost being the other.

I have no real desire to ever have HIDs in any of my vehicles.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am the same now, no HIDs for me

Oh and HIDs use less power.

I am making my own power in a gasoline vehicle...........???
Why would I care if the headlights draw 5 amps or 8 amps, I ain't saving the planet driving a gasoline engine.
I get it for home lights, less power used saves me money, and less electrical production is needed for my area in general.

If it was an electric vehicle then I would get the power savings, it ain't, so why use them at all in a gas, or diesel, powered vehicle.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sticker shock is annoying...and even more so if you have a problem with them due to moisture or other issues.

My (new) 1989 Ford Tempo with the 9004 bulbs caused me great concern because unbeknownst to me when I bought the car the bulbs were $25 a pop...about $15 more than the old style I had been buying about once every five years or so.

It was a bit of a shock and even more annoying because the Ford Tempo (and others) headlight lens had a tendency to accumulate moisture. Pretty much every spring and fall and after a heavy rain the moisture would splash onto the bulb and immediately caused them to POP...

I went through about 8 in the first year before I figured out that if I drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of the lens they would not accumulate moisture...but my headlight expenditure for the next 40 years had been consumed in less than a year...it was very distressing...

$189 for a light bulb would have had me on a mission with GM...but someone once told me that if you can't afford to maintain a vehicle you should not be driving one...I think it was my Dad...lol

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
A friend has a Lincoln Mark VIII and it has HID's in it.

Yeah they are bright but U don't see any material improvement in lighting
over the Hella E-code H4 headlamps I have in my '87 Ranger.

I have a Pair of Sylvania/Osram Silverstar zXe bulbs sitting on my desk but though I got them on closeout for $40 for the pair I'm in no flaming rush to swap them in.

I would buy aftermarket replacement bulbs and ballasts for my Hella Foglamps because they are a bit more impact resistant than the old-school halogens are...

AD

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Tried spendy bulbs and I could see better briefly until they blew rather prematurely. Now it doesn't much matter because I can't see well at night and try not to be out after dark.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When they first came out a guy came into the dealer my brother works at because he backed into something with his 2014 Mustang and cracked the LED tail light. It was like $1200 for a new one. :icon_surprised:

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
My cousin bought a Prius with the HID lights. A couple years in she started having problems where they would randomly not come on. She could turn the lights off then on again and they would pop back on.

She didn't want to pay for new ones so she just kept doing that. One night one came on and the other didn't and she didn't catch it and got pulled over. The cop came up to her window and said "Ma'am, do you know you have a headlight out?" So she said "No, officer, they were fine earlier." The cops in her area are d*cks and always write tickets. Never give warnings. So to avoid a ticket, she asked if she could check it. The cop agreed and as she exited the car, she quickly flicked the lights off and then back on quickly.

Her and the cop get to the front of the car and sure enough, both lights are on and she drives off with no ticket.

No moral to this story. Other than it pays to know your car!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals