• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chirp noise under acceleration

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. Been browsin through yalls forums for some time now and i figured I'd sign up and be a part of the forums! Love the site as well! Anyways. The question im trying to figure out is for my 96 2.3 ranger with the m5od. Just recently I got a code for my camshaft sensor. I replaced it and the truck ran like it was new, but then I developed this weird chirping noise whenever I was accelerating. It'll do it briefly when i take off in first and it goes nuts whenever I'm in 4th and 5th gear and give it more than half throttle. It's not really hurting the way it runs, but it's driving me crazy!! I've searched all over this site and pretty much everything on google, but I cant figure it out! I was starting to think that maybe it was a cam synchro, but I cant find ANY info for my year and motor. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Because I'm starting to run out of ideas lol.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Howdy and welcome to TRS~!

Most common source for this is the fan/serpentine belt. If you did not change the actual belt in the process of replacing the crank position sensor then it shouldn't be making any more noise than usual.

The tension pulley petty much sets the tension for you on the belt so not much you can do with that but it might indicate the bearing is wearing out on either the alternator or the Power Steering.

You can run the engine with a shorter belt (cost involved) or just hang around the front end with a stethescope or other listening tool and blip the throttle to see where the noise is coming from.

I have replaced an alternator before due to the noise it was making but ended up with a reman alt that made even more noise than the one I replaced...just an FYI because it can happen...

EDIT: And another FYI...this may be due to the charging system keeping the battery topped up...if the battery is losing charge more than it should there could be an issue with the actual battery...something to keep in mind because swapping out parts can get expensive...have someone load test the battery if you don't know how to do it...or Google it to see if you can test it yourself.

Last edited:

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i was thinking that maybe it was a belt or pulley. there is one thing i forgot to add and that's that it only does it when the truck is moving. if im idling it will not make this chirp noise. so it's making it hard to exactly pinpoint where it's coming from.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
With the M5OD it may be the pilot bearing that is chirping.

I've also had the displeasure of having a wheel almost come off because the passenger side bearing collapsed and the only indication of a problem was a slight chirping noise that I suspected was the pilot bearing because it only (seemed) happened around the time I was shifting gears.

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i could see it being something suspension wise. or even pilot bearing, but I just can't seem to figure it out. it'll only make this noise in 4th and 5th gear when i give it more than half throttle.

Last edited:

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i will see if i can get the video i took of it uploaded. that might help figure it out a little better.

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To anyone that's curious, I changed my spark plugs and wires and the noise went away.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good stuff! I can't hear sound too well so your video wouldn't have helped me identify anything under the hood (without being there)...

Wires and plugs...I might try to listen to the video sounds later...but not needed when you figure it out...:icon_thumby:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I Know! I Know! It's tire chirp from that massive power plant!

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Lol yea you could hear it better with headphones, but it's at the end. And yea man! I had a thrush muffler welded on and got too much horse pressure from it!

Last edited:

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But it runs much better now. I'm still getting a little acceleration hesitation, but it's not bad.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
did you check for play in the throttle cable?

Unless it has been replaced recently, those cables can stretch and it does two things...reduced response a bit and also prevents full WOT...

If you can wiggle the pedal an inch or so before you feel it pull the cable then you can fix that with the throttle cable mod using zip ties...one or two is usualy all that is needed but I've had to add four or five on some cables....a new cable isn't that expensive but compared to a zip tie it's a huge expense....

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i actually have done the cable mod, but i might need to go back and redo it. i was in a rush the first time i did it so i more than likely didnt get the zip ties on enough. will probably go back and try it again later today.

rangerdanger1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
its possible one of the spark plugs isn't in all the way or a wire came loose. i did rush through the last half because i was getting irritated lol. sometimes it accelerates fine, then other times it moves like a slug. i mean thats not really saying anything because these motors are slugs, but it just doesn't feel right. gonna look more into it once the motor cools down

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals