• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 ranger prerunner

fmxfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger
Transmission
Manual
Heres my 1990 ranger xlt i just picked up for 450 dollars, only thing ive done is put a billet grill and a sound system in it so far.... im wanting to make a prerunner out of it... any suggestions?

4" lift coils for front, shocks are coming in the mail and i have a 3 inch lift block for the rear....

Rifleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Awesome price, be sure to keep up the pics with the build process. Look forward to seeing where you take it.

fmxfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger
Transmission
Manual

KWAD RCR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good start. Ton of info here and on the web for prerunner rangers. It all depends on how extreme you want to go. You can go from 9" or 10" of travel up to 20" plus. Front starts off with bent beams all the way to custom fab extended beams, coil overs, radius arms, engine cage, crossover steering, etc. etc. Talked to Dave at Threat Motorsports a few times. Incredible stuff from a shop that knows what the hell they are doin. Camburg and Giant stuff is good too. I'm just starting to build a 93 standard cab and a 98 extra cab. Already have the plus 4.5 Threat beams ready to go on the 93. Going to do a Camburg 5.5 on the 98. WHATEVER you do just do it right or have someone do it that knows how to do it right. And put a damn cage in the thing. Good luck and post pics as you go. :icon_hornsup:

fmxfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger
Transmission
Manual

yea im in the process of making a cage similar to this, and could you direct me to a link for long travel coilovers for the rear?

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
race-dezert.com classifieds will have everything you need... and you dont run coilovers with leaf springs.

fmxfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger
Transmission
Manual
yeah, i ment just long travel shocks, mybad. but heres a quick bedcage plan that i took a few measurements and drew up, tell me what you think...

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
RacerRanger has a wicked awesome pre-runner build!! you should check it out.

Frank

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
I would wait till you get you're leaf spring pack that you are going to run, and cycle it before making a bed cage/shock hoops.Along with what shocks your going to use.Not every 16 inch shock is the same length from manufacture to manufacture

fox, king, sway a way(SAW), radflo are the big name's in shocks.

buying used can be a great way to save money too if your on a budget.As they are pretty easy to rebuild if just in need of soft parts(seals) but hard part's shafts, rod ends, etc can add up quick.

fmxfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger
Transmission
Manual
okay, scratch the bedcage idea for now im decidin to go a diff route, what kind of shocks and leafs should i go with for the rear? ive been looking at bilstein gas shocks and im pretty sure u can go with heavy duty chevy leafsprings... any suggestions? :icon_welder: thinking......

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
that depends on what you want the final outcome to be.

raceranger is has his truck set up for the chevy leafs. look threw his build thread.

in general, most will go with ethier deaver springs, or national spring co. and get one of thier long travel leaf packs.

for shocks,at the least a pair of billstien 5100's to "Get by" till you can pick up some remote/piggy back resivor 2.5 or 3.0 type shocks.That you can tune to your needs.

king, fox, sway a way(saws) bilstien 9100's, radflo's etc.

fmxfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger
Transmission
Manual
i want a "mild build" i guess you could say for now.... ill look on race dezert for some.. i have stock leafs with 3" block in it now that i put on today. but those leaf springs are crap and the stock shocks are streched all the way out..

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you want tons and tons of info on rangers, go to dezertrangers.com, race-dezert is for the bigger trucks. Before you start building anything, do tons of research.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Budgets don't belong on a build.
If you don't have enough money to finish it "right"...... you shouldn't start it.
I would write down parts lists..... brand,model, price. and set a goal and time-line/price as well for each step. That is how I do my builds.

Frank

fmxfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger
Transmission
Manual
i wish that were true, but in todays economy everything has a budget. you can do it right without going extreme. i plan to start out by getting 1/2 ton chevy leafs and shackles with some bilstein 5100 shocks with my 4 inch coils in the front, probly gonna have to purchase a drop pitman too. fiberglass bedsides are on the way and need to get some fiberglass fenders. then im going to get some 15 inch black rims that will fit my 31 inch baja claws. then a white paintjob...... ill make my own tube prerunner bumpers, some hellas on the front, and the image in my mind looks pretty good... :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals