• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FW Ranger Build

RWARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 & 1997
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
so heres some pics of my build so far. i had one on the old site but thought id update it now.

this is how she sits right now. the front end is about 4" higher than its gonna be

its a fw 78 d44 converted to 8 lug to match the ff 14 bolt rear 5.13 gears. moved the rear axle about 9" forward and the front 2". wb is around 118-119", 38.5x15x15 boggers 4.0l 5 speed narrowed 03 ranger nose and bobbed(18") and dovetailed the bed

my duff radius arms

still working on making everything fit but heres the 03 nose narrowed

ill post some more soon gotta get it all welded and rolling before winter so it can go back in the garage

RWARanger

RWARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 & 1997
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
well i tacked up the coil buckets tonight and the track bar mount. should be under its own weight soon. ill get some more pics later this week. got dark befroe i could take pics.
working on saving some money for the 15" 8 lug rims i need for the boggers.

RWARanger

RWARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 & 1997
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
well a little update havent had much time lately but got some stuff done trucks going OD now that i picked up a complete parts truck. so id rather have a truck one color than 8 different colors. got the rear axle in its hopefully final resting place and finished welding up the front coil buckets. wb is right around stock but front and rear axles are moved about 2" forward. getting ready to put it back in the garage for the winter and its not coming out til the motor runs.

the front end is not even close to being done but just there to keep the rain out but its just a good example of what its gonna be when its done.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Looks cool, I remember it from the old forum. What's it got under the hood?

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so are you gonna get this thing done or what?!?! I remember it from the old forum, it's been under construction for as long as I can remember. can't wait to see it on the trails

zainyD]

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
38's make the D44 go BOOM, but you might be OK so long as you wheel with a light foot. Did you shave the 14bolt at all for clearance? Are you going to convert it to discs or leave the drums on there?

Hopefully you'll make some good progress over the winter.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
looking good! are you going to do anything about the gaps between the fenders and the cab?

RWARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 & 1997
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
well the 44 is there for now til i start breaking it but im pretty easy most of the time, so im not to worried about it. i havent shaved the 14 bolt and as of right now its the least of my worries. its gonna have disc's though. still need gears and install and all the brakes for it. as for the fender gaps they will be fix but once it goes in the garge all the sheet metal is coming off to make it easier to run all the wiring and finish welding. and its got just a 4.0l in it but it use to have a 3.0l. i got a ton of stuff to do til its done but my new parts truck has alot of the stuff i need to get the motor running and rest of the drivetrain in it.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Tack weld the caps into the ears, use 5-760X joints on the 44 and I think you'll be fine with 38s. I have seen a 44 hold up to 40s locked and do pretty well, with some occasional shaft breakage.

Looking good!

RWARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 & 1997
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
dont plan on tacking the caps but as soon as one shaft breaks it chromo shafts and super joints. if that dont hold its bye bye 44 hello 60. im not rich that why it aint done yet. its in the garage now ready to get the harness installed from the parts truck. got a few things planned for the rear suspension.gona move the front hangers forward some more to get the wb back around 120" but that after the motors running and the drivetrains in. still saving for the stubler. worked out the crawl ratio with the stubler and its right around 100:1 so thats what im shooting for.

RWARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 & 1997
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
well its been awhile since i updated this so here goes.
as of now i got the new clutch, the tranny, and transfercase in. most of the accessories on the motor and a new water pump. radiators in and the donor harness is almost all in.
ripped out the dash so i can build a new one. and got part of the bob done on the new bed.

picked up a new sawsall the other day too

also got the 8.8 out of the back and 14 bolt mocked up. waiting on my steering and spring hangers to come in from ballistic then i can get the rear done for good.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looking good! nice job on the bob, that sawsall looks beastly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals