• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Repeat intake/head gasket failure

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, cracked head would be a walk away :)

If you have a valve spring compressor change the valve guide seals, they will be dried out on used head, so will crack when put back into use.
If you don't have valve spring compressor, rent one
And change all 12, so even the 6 on the good head.
Watch the keepers, they can "take flight" lol.

You can reuse any head bolt, people do it all the time, BUT(big but)................
The TTY's are especially dicey to reuse as they are made to stretch only once, to final torque specs, and then they are repeatedly stretched and contracted when engine heats up and cools down, all heads bolts have to do that, engine metal/heads expand when engine heats up, so head bolts have to stretch, and then contract when engine cools down, over the years thats alot of stretching and contracting, lol.

The BUT, is that at any warm up of the engine a reused head bolt can break.
Best case is that it will break on final tightening sequence, lol, at least you can remove it and use a new one
Worst case is it breaks on a warmup at some point down the road, or when engine is slightly heated up more, like climbing a long hill, so a little more stretch and SNAP

Totally users choice, cost of new head bolts vs inconvenience down the road, future is unknowable

Studs use a different physics than bolts, you would have to look that up, but studs can be reused within limits.
Problem with studs is that there is often not enough room in an engine bay to lift a head up high enough to clear the studs.
Studs are usually used on engines that will be torn down alot, no reason for the expense of studs other wise
Like you use rubber valve cover gaskets when you know valve covers will come off frequently.
Cork gaskets seal better and are cheaper, but get hard with age and break apart when removed, so are not "reusable" like rubber gaskets

What is "better" is usually down to future use

Last edited:

borjawil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. Any one know what is needed if I use 95+ heads? I know they'll swap directly, but with the bumped compression, what else is needed?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You would of course have to use TWO 95TM heads, just have to say it

The higher compression could cause pinging/knocking when running regular gas(87 octane) but you will probably be fine, the 95TM chamber design was less prone to pre-ignition even with higher compression.
But it's your money, having to run 89 or 91 octane may be needed, stock compression is 9.0:1, when you get up above 9.5:1 is when 87 octane can start to pre-ignite
If you had an EGR system it would be better but really shouldn't be an issue.

Many have done this along with bigger cams and other modifications, so you wouldn't be the first.
Ford engineers say "don't do it" but they are just engineers, so "the glass is not half empty or half full, it's the wrong size glass for the project", lol, no imagination.
The concern is pre-ignition, pinging/knocking, which eats away at piston tops and head gaskets, softest metals.
But you can hear it so can bump up octane in the tank to prevent it

Last edited:

borjawil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im not even sure where to begin on an EGR system. And yes, will need both heads if doing 95tm heads. Running premium should help. Just wondering in case I can't find the 90tm head. Gotta go check a couple yards tomorrow

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You wouldn't add an EGR system, just saying it helps prevent pinging/knocking

If you can get the 90TM/93TM heads then do that
If you can only find the 95TM then that's fine

borjawil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So far so good on the new head install. Im an idiot and forgot to bolt in the ground strap to the back of the head. Cost me about 45 min of time to try and squeeze my hand back there to get it bolted back up - Unfortunately I don't remember where I put the bolt so I had to figure that out first. Heres a tip, don't do what i did. If you do, get on top of the engine bay and with your left hand go around/behind the upper intake to the drivers side head to bolt it in. Much easier.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals