• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Putting f150 spring in bronco 2/ranger leaf pack

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Hey everyone, got a pair of f150 leafs at the junkyard after i read something about f150 springs working in rangers with no modifications and netting 4” of lift. Theyre sitting in my b2 and the shackle angle just isnt right. These springs are about 1.5” shorter eye to eye and looks like if i put any weight on the springs the shackles will just push up instead of out like they should. Now im wondering if i cpuld just swap a couple of the springs into my bronco 2 pack and run it that way (sort of like an add a leaf). Let me know thanks!

Bronco is an 86, and the f150 springs are 2wd from an 87. Both springs are 2.5” wide.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When measuring the length you need to follow the arc of the spring. Adding springs into the original spring pack is common. You should get new bolts but I have been dollar scarce and have re-used bolts myself. The bolts for holding the spring-pack together are about C$7.00 and the u-bolts for the axle to spring are about C$30.00. The u-bolts are common at most parts places, the spring-pack bolt I sourced at a local spring shop.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
When measuring the length you need to follow the arc of the spring. Adding springs into the original spring pack is common. You should get new bolts but I have been dollar scarce and have re-used bolts myself. The bolts for holding the spring-pack together are about C$7.00 and the u-bolts for the axle to spring are about C$30.00. The u-bolts are common at most parts places, the spring-pack bolt I sourced at a local spring shop.
So if the length is the same along the arc, then the springs should work is what your saying? Ill have to post a pic of the shackle angle too. Those f150 springs have a much bigger arch than those bronco springs so they could very well be the same length.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the length along the arc is the same they should work, yes, provided the mounting bolts are the same diameter. I was going to use some springs from a 97 f150 but the bolts that hold them on were metric and bigger. Of course I had lost the bolts so I put that idea on the back burner. But I used the rest of the spring pack on my original main leaf.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If the length along the arc is the same they should work, yes, provided the mounting bolts are the same diameter. I was going to use some springs from a 97 f150 but the bolts that hold them on were metric and bigger. Of course I had lost the bolts so I put that idea on the back burner. But I used the rest of the spring pack on my original main leaf.
Along the arch (measuring by myself-dont know how accurate it is) they are both roughly 57”. F150 springs bolt into place.

Heres a pic of shackle angle
https://ibb.co/mRNtaw
https://ibb.co/iHYANb

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
When you get the truck back on the floor the angle will change. You have to remember that when the springs compress they get longer, so it will push the shackles towards the back of the truck.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
When you get the truck back on the floor the angle will change. You have to remember that when the springs compress they get longer, so it will push the shackles towards the back of the truck.
Yeah, im thinking im just gonna get it all together and see how it sits. Just gonna get some leaf spring perches that have different holes to put the alignment pin through because the pin looks to be about an inch to far forward on these f150 springs. We will see how it sits!

I took one spring out of the pack and swapped the overload for my broncos overload, so should ride better and flex harder

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Okay so i got the rig on its own weight and everything sits nice. However im too low, so i was gonna put that one spring i took out back it but was curious if it would be a bad idea to take the second from the longest spring out of the bronco back and put it in this leaf pack also? I need maybe 3 more inches of lift and would rather salvage what i got vs buying an add a leaf thanks.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Go ahead and mix and match as you will. Worst is you have to take one out again but your labor is cheap.....right? It goes pretty quick the second time, and even quicker the third, lol.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Go ahead and mix and match as you will. Worst is you have to take one out again but your labor is cheap.....right? It goes pretty quick the second time, and even quicker the third, lol.
Lol yeah at this rate its very cheap. Got the front sas done made my own links crossmember steering trackbar and mounts. Front took weeks setting the rear axle up took about 2 hours hahahaha ?. Anyways i tried adding one of the bronco springs in and it just didnt work. I put the one f150 spring i took out back in and it lifted it like 3”, didnt realize how much of a difference that one spring made. Now its time for shackles and made a 1” or so block. Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals