• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Ford Ranger security system problem

ProSpartan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone! I'm new here so i hope i'm posing this in the correct area.

I have a 98 Ford Ranger that has a security system issue (i think). It just started having this problem and i've had it for a few months now.

The issue is that the vehicle will go into a "lockdown" mode and i can't start it. The power works just fine, everything comes on, but the engine will not crank or turn over. The lights will flash and there is a clicking noise coming from the fuse box under the hood. I've determined that the clicking is coming from the Park Lamp/Trailer Tow Relay.

I don't have a keyfob nor does the key look like it would have a chip in it.

The work around i have for this is to remove the 50 fuse from the ignition in the fuse box under the hood for about 15 seconds and then the engine will start up just fine. But this only works one time. As soon as i get out and shut the door and open it back up, the engine will do nothing.

I'm going to get a new security system installed in the near future, but i want to be 100% sure that the current security system is the problem and that the problem will not persist. So would anyone have any suggestions of what might be causing the problem?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals