• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

IAC Problems...

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So I replaced my IAC valve not long ago. Replaced it because, on startup, the truck would rev up...then come down and almost die. When I pulled it off, I noticed the shaft inside was rusty and incredibly dirty.

Replacing the IAC valve seemed to fix that issue, but the RPM would stay up much longer. Sometimes it would even start making a humming noise while driving. When the humming was there, the RPM would stay high to the point where it was hard to slow/stop the truck. But now that's gone and the original problem seems to be back! :annoyed:

Would there be some underlying problem causing this? Or is it more likely that I got a lemon part?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd suggest looking for a vacuum leak.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got a working IAC here. When you come doWn we can try it. But sounds like a booster leak or something like that.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree, sounds like a leak somewhere. Probably a small one if the computer compensated for it without setting a code.

Did you replace the IAC gasket?

How is the brake pedal?

Have you noticed a change in MPG recently?

If all else fails, drop by a dealer and tell them that you just want to make sure the PCM is updated to the latest level. Sometimes problems crop up after years that are fixed by a reprogram.

Saw an Escape once, after 90K miles it decided to start running poorly for the first 30 seconds or so. Reprogrammed the PCM and that fixed it.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I agree, sounds like a leak somewhere. Probably a small one if the computer compensated for it without setting a code.

Did you replace the IAC gasket?
Yes

How is the brake pedal?
Haven't really noticed a difference

Have you noticed a change in MPG recently?
Actually just noticed a really big improvement recently. Does NOT coordinate with any of the work I've done, but it did seem to get better when the IAC problem came back. :dunno:

If all else fails, drop by a dealer and tell them that you just want to make sure the PCM is updated to the latest level. Sometimes problems crop up after years that are fixed by a reprogram.

Saw an Escape once, after 90K miles it decided to start running poorly for the first 30 seconds or so. Reprogrammed the PCM and that fixed it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Actually just noticed a really big improvement recently. Does NOT coordinate with any of the work I've done, but it did seem to get better when the IAC problem came back.
Then stop complaining!!!!

I'd take a sticky idle to get better mileage.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well yeah, that's all fine and dandy...but what happens when things start going wrong? lol.

Also, on another unrelated note, doesn't matter how new my serpentine belt is, it always screams on startup for a second then calms down. I've changed it twice thinking it would go away, but the stupid thing keeps screaming. I'm thinking bad tensioner pully?? Seems to be fairly tight, but I don't know for sure.

I'm also thinking a v8 swap would solve alot of these issues. lol

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
What about the TPS sensor? I had a similar problem on my choptop at one point, idle was all messed up and cleaning/replacing the IAC didn't seem to fully fix the problem (but made it better). After playing around awhile, I decided to change to a bigger TB (got one from an EGR equipped 2.9L). When I did my idle went really wacky. Changed the Throttle Position Sensor and the problem was fixed. I knew there wasn't any vacuum leaks because I had gone over everything really well both before and after I dropped the 2.9L in (had to replace a blown up motor and a 2.9 was all I could get my hands on).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals