• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 speed with automatic code errors?....WTF

94 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hey guys
i have a 94 ford ranger with a 4.0....(5-speed!!!!!). my check engine light came on and i took it to a local garage to have the codes read...they looked at me weird and said you have three codes and they are all automatic trans codes?....shift sensor 2 and 3...and two others?....WTF
my one budy says that it sounds like the computer took a dump?....any suggestions?:icon_confused:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds a lot like it has an auto trans computer in it.

How long have you owned the truck?

94 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have had the truck for almost two years....but the truck was never an automatic, will a auto ECU work in mine?...

i dont know what to do....get a new computer?.....how in the hell do you get this one out?

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My truck is an auto with a 5-speed ECM... Maybe we should trade.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
well if it runs and drives with no problems... why fix it?

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Mine drives just find with the wrong ECM, but fuel mileage suffers.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mine drives just find with the wrong ECM, but fuel mileage suffers.
That's because the computer has some control over the shift positions and also controls the torque converter lockup. The auto trans will shift without the computer's input on older vehicles, but it will be neither smooth shifting nor fuel efficient.

On 5-speed vehicles, you can use an auto trans ECM, the only thing that happens is that sometimes the computer throws a CEL because it can't find the auto transmission that it was programmed to look for. Other than that, it'll run just fine (although it can also cause a higher idle and the like because it was programed for running an auto trans vehicle). It's a common thing to grab an ECM from a junk vehicle when there is a problem suspected because they usually cost a couple hundred bucks for a new one.

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That's because the computer has some control over the shift positions and also controls the torque converter lockup. The auto trans will shift without the computer's input on older vehicles, but it will be neither smooth shifting nor fuel efficient.

On 5-speed vehicles, you can use an auto trans ECM, the only thing that happens is that sometimes the computer throws a CEL because it can't find the auto transmission that it was programmed to look for. Other than that, it'll run just fine (although it can also cause a higher idle and the like because it was programed for running an auto trans vehicle). It's a common thing to grab an ECM from a junk vehicle when there is a problem suspected because they usually cost a couple hundred bucks for a new one.
Ahh smart man, thank you! I know mine was a quick junk yard swap done by the guy I bought it from. He didn't realize until he was back home that he'd picked up the wrong one. I'll end up buying a new one if I don't find a used auto one.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ahh smart man, thank you! I know mine was a quick junk yard swap done by the guy I bought it from. He didn't realize until he was back home that he'd picked up the wrong one. I'll end up buying a new one if I don't find a used auto one.
IIRC, I'm running an auto trans one in my choptop because it's what I had when I put the truck together....

What year truck and what motor do you have?

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC, I'm running an auto trans one in my choptop because it's what I had when I put the truck together....

What year truck and what motor do you have?
I have a 4.0 out of a 93 Explorer, I believe.. I'd have to double check. It was either a 93 or a 91

My truck is a 93 Ranger but that doesn't even matter at the point :D

94 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok....the truck runs like a bag of dog shit...i will be driving along and it will buck real hard like it shuts off for a minute then comes right back.
it is VERY sluggish up till 3k then it clears a little, i want to say it has 1/2 the power when the light comes on...sometimes it goes off for a couple minutes or seconds then it will come back on after the jerking around?....idk?....guy at work says the throttle postioning sensor....what should i do guys?

oh yea 94 XLT 4.0

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4.0 out of a 93 Explorer, I believe.. I'd have to double check. It was either a 93 or a 91

My truck is a 93 Ranger but that doesn't even matter at the point :D
I'll have to check, but I may have a 4.0L auto trans computer laying around. I have need for a manual trans 4.0 computer though if you had a need for a swap....

94 Ranger, it does sound like it might be a TPS. IIRC you use an analog test meter and probe the center wire on the TPS with the positive lead and ground the negative lead with the engine running. Move the throttle and see what the test meter reads, it'll show if you have a flat spot in the TPS.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
i have had the truck for almost two years....but the truck was never an automatic, will a auto ECU work in mine?...
It will run the engine, but won't fix your problem.

94 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
lil blue
shouldnt i use a manual trans computer?....

ok i will check the TPS and see what happens?....i have to work this weekend so i will have to get back to ya on monday....thanks for the help guys

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
lil blue
shouldnt i use a manual trans computer?....

ok i will check the TPS and see what happens?....i have to work this weekend so i will have to get back to ya on monday....thanks for the help guys
You could probably benefit from a manual trans computer, I had quoted bttlscrs when I talked about swapping computers.

I'd start with checking the TPS among other things, IMHO, it doesn't sound like your comp is doing anything other than kicking out funny codes at this point.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals