• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

just "venting"

Bronchitis bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.8, 5.0, 6.4, 351M,rats nest..
Transmission
Manual
I borrow the mother-in-laws honda element. fill it up with gas... leave the gas cap on the roof... drive off.... bring it back next day shes all mad cuz theres no gas cap... she said she stuck a rag in the tank because her gas was evaporating ..... she says the gas cap costs 46 dollars at the dealership... i go to o'riellys pick it up for 7 bucks..... i wonder if she went to the dealership if she would have to pay extra for them to install it for her..... i'm glad my wife doesn't do weird stuff like this...

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that''s why they call it a stealership...

Bronchitis bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.8, 5.0, 6.4, 351M,rats nest..
Transmission
Manual
lol i hope my girlfriend doesn't find this thread lol

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, who's fault was it, Bro? I don't see you taking the blame!!! Why did you leave it on the roof? $46 is a lot. I can get any locking gas cap for $10.00. All my cars and trucks have a cable on the gas cap so you don't drop it or leave it. My 99 Ranger has one and so does my 87 Samurai. I can't believe the Honda does not have one. I have to buddies who have an Element and they have those plastic cables attached to the gas cap...unless you or somebody removed it?

:icon_confused::icon_confused:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Wow. So my thinking on this was, 1. You left the gas cap, 2. she sticks a rag in the gas tank fuel port to prevent her gas from evpaorating (doesn't sound like a very good idea), 3. She quotes you for OEM replacement, 4. You get her a replacement gas cap.

Sounds like a 50/50 win to me. You got her a new gas cap so she doesn't turn her car into a flaming cocktail. But you didn't get her Honda OEM part that you lost, but at least it will work.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I borrow the mother-in-laws honda element. fill it up with gas... leave the gas cap on the roof... drive off.... bring it back next day shes all mad cuz theres no gas cap... she said she stuck a rag in the tank because her gas was evaporating ..... she says the gas cap costs 46 dollars at the dealership... i go to o'riellys pick it up for 7 bucks..... i wonder if she went to the dealership if she would have to pay extra for them to install it for her..... i'm glad my wife doesn't do weird stuff like this...
Technically speaking, you would have to pay whatever it cost to make her car like it was before you borrowed it. Legally it's referred to as a 'bailment'. Look it up. It was your negligence that began all of this so I don't even understand why you're venting. :lame:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've gotta agree with everyone else. it's up to her where she wants you to get the replacement. if you had a set of hella's on your truck and someone broke them, would you be happy if they replaced them with a set of POS lights from walmart? i dont think so.

you gotta be careful with those mama-in-laws, you dont wanna be on their shit-list. (papa-in-laws too)

OTOH, i do see where you're coming from, the dealership is fricking outrageous. i work for an insurance company and you'd be surprised at how many people think you can only buy parts or get stuff worked on at the dealership. do they not see the hundreds of parts stores while they're out driving around? maybe they're too busy texting to notice what's going on around them.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I borrow the mother-in-laws honda element. fill it up with gas... leave the gas cap on the roof... drive off.... bring it back next day shes all mad cuz theres no gas cap... she said she stuck a rag in the tank because her gas was evaporating ..... she says the gas cap costs 46 dollars at the dealership... i go to o'riellys pick it up for 7 bucks..... i wonder if she went to the dealership if she would have to pay extra for them to install it for her.... i'm glad my wife doesn't do weird stuff like this...

that''s why they call it a stealership...

that's also why they call them mother-in-laws

cause they lay down the
law!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm probably not the only one to forget to put the oil fill cap back, in a hurry of course. Noticed it missing the next day. Went to the JY, told the guy what I needed, he comes out with a box of them and says, "pick one, no charge". Just another option for the next time.
Dave

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Technically speaking, you would have to pay whatever it cost to make her car like it was before you borrowed it. Legally it's referred to as a 'bailment'. Look it up. It was your negligence that began all of this so I don't even understand why you're venting. :lame:
This comment is The Real McCoy !

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i've gotta agree with everyone else. it's up to her where she wants you to get the replacement. if you had a set of hella's on your truck and someone broke them, would you be happy if they replaced them with a set of POS lights from walmart? i dont think so.

you gotta be careful with those mama-in-laws, you dont wanna be on their shit-list. (papa-in-laws too)

OTOH, i do see where you're coming from, the dealership is fricking outrageous. i work for an insurance company and you'd be surprised at how many people think you can only buy parts or get stuff worked on at the dealership. do they not see the hundreds of parts stores while they're out driving around? maybe they're too busy texting to notice what's going on around them.
it's a ****ing gascap, the hella comparison doesn't really work.

also, unrelated to quoting you, my 00 ranger doesn't have a gas cap cable.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual

also, unrelated to quoting you, my 00 ranger doesn't have a gas cap cable.
from a legal standpoint the hella comparison really does work.

Did you buy the ranger new? odds are at one point it did have the dongle.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
from a legal standpoint the hella comparison really does work.

Did you buy the ranger new? odds are at one point it did have the dongle.
from a legal standpoint he doesn't owe her a damn thing unless she sues him and wins.

regardless, it's a gas cap, it's caps the gas tank, as long as the gas cap caps the gas tank than it works 100%

in the hella comparison the other brand lights have the potential to be inferior to the original lights, making it an unfair comparison in the real world.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
it doesnt matter what it is. HE screwed up HER property, SHE is allowed to demand compensation to leave her just the way she was before he got a hold of her automobile. if he doesnt, she can sue him and make him buy her what she wants....even though in this situation it isnt really feasible and it would be a real dick move on her part for a stupid gas cap.

i'm just pointing out the reality of the situation to him. i understand that that was a bit of an extreme comparison, but it's the same thing.

if you dont wanna be responsible for replacing someones property, then dont f uck it up to begin with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals