• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Explorer swap into 1988 ExCab Ranger??

Pheadrus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Guys
I'm new to the site and looking for some advice on what to do with a mint 1988 Ranger Excab 4x4-2.9/auto that the A4Ld died in. I got it for $500 so I don't have much into it and would like to upgrade from the 2.9 if I'm pulling the tranny anyway.

I can buy a 94 Explorer in good shape and lady driven for about $650 locally. Can I use this year Explorer to swap the motor, tranny, diffs, etc.? Would swapping the dash help or is it different than my 88's? Can I use the ranger and explorer leafs to make a new leaf pack for a low buck lift? The plan would be to buy a front 4 or 6" lift kit. I just took the box off and will probably lift the cab off to make the swap as easy as possible because I have two herniated discs and I also want to clean and paint the frame. It doesn't look like the front sheet metal of the Explorer will swap onto the Ranger. What years work on the 88?
Thanks for any and all advice, Steve.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Search dude. That is one of the most common swap sets in the book.

You need to get the Explorer axle flipped over. Most of the rest will be bolt on.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH!!!! There is a function bar for this on this website, Bro!!!! Look up near the top right hand corner and you will see it.

Pheadrus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I understand the concept of a search button . . . . . thank you.

I live out in the country and I'm stuck with super slow 28.8 dial up internet so searching takes forever for me especially if a thread has pics. Plus the Explorer is only available until Friday and then there just going to give it to there nephew. I have read a lot about the different swaps for the Ranger but I couldn't confirm that a 1994 Explorer would work with the 1988 chassis for stuff like the dash and front diff bolting in and wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals