• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

getting 33's

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if I should just put a 3"bl or run the tires with my 4" suspension lift?

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Will they rub with your current setup?

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i like having a little body lift, little extra room to work on stuff. id say get the body lift, maybe itll look better. im not a fan of huge tires just crammed in the wheel well. i like a little bit of clearance between the tire and fender. idk what your preferences are. some people hate body lift. i suppose it just depends on the application.

probably wouldnt hurt to replace the body mount bolts any ways seeing as how old your truck is..

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Will they rub with your current setup?

Sent from road while ignoring traffic
I have a rough country 4" lift,it says that it will fit but I've put 33's next to it and it doesn't look like it will fit.
i like having a little body lift, little extra room to work on stuff. id say get the body lift, maybe itll look better. im not a fan of huge tires just crammed in the wheel well. i like a little bit of clearance between the tire and fender. idk what your preferences are. some people hate body lift. i suppose it just depends on the application.

probably wouldnt hurt to replace the body mount bolts any ways seeing as how old your truck is..
I am going to when I get the body lift. I was thinkin of getting a 3" it's actually cheaper than a 2".

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
just a few thoughts from me. I think 7" of lift for 33's is way over kill. the taller you get the higher the possibility of rolling over. the B2 and ranger fenders are easy to cut out to make room for larger tires, and also to make it look almost like it was done at the factory. how old are your body mounts? have they been in there since 86? if so you will most likely want to replace them wile you are in there doing the body lift. and if they are that old they have been crushed down over time, so you will get "lift" just by replacing them. when i did the 3" body lift in my 88 B2 i replaced the body mounts wile i was in there. between the body lift and the lift gained from putting in new body mounts i was sitting about 4.5" higher when i was done than when i started. i would think that with minor fender cutting you could clear 33's just fine with the lift you already have in it, plus new body mounts. if you are un willing to cut your fenders, i would suggest the new body mounts and a 2" body lift. just food for thought.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just a few thoughts from me. I think 7" of lift for 33's is way over kill. the taller you get the higher the possibility of rolling over. the B2 and ranger fenders are easy to cut out to make room for larger tires, and also to make it look almost like it was done at the factory. how old are your body mounts? have they been in there since 86? if so you will most likely want to replace them wile you are in there doing the body lift. and if they are that old they have been crushed down over time, so you will get "lift" just by replacing them. when i did the 3" body lift in my 88 B2 i replaced the body mounts wile i was in there. between the body lift and the lift gained from putting in new body mounts i was sitting about 4.5" higher when i was done than when i started. i would think that with minor fender cutting you could clear 33's just fine with the lift you already have in it, plus new body mounts. if you are un willing to cut your fenders, i would suggest the new body mounts and a 2" body lift. just food for thought.
Since I've had the truck I haven't replaced the mounts,so it'd be good if I did that. I don't really want to cut my fenders because they are pretty clean. Also I do plan on runnin 35's sometime down the road after sas and motor swap.

schaffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For whatever it's worth. My ranger has a 3 inch body lift and I fit 33s just fine.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is what it looks like with 33's and just the 4" lift. Looks like its gonna rub quite a bit.

Metallheadd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need to consider the centerline of the current wheel being lower than that of the 33 just standing next to the truck.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I thought of that don't think it will make that big of a difference will it?

Metallheadd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Half of the difference

schaffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just put em on and try it.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I might just do that and see what happens. Worst case I just have to put a body lift on it.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I have the same lift with 31s and I have lots more room. I'm sure I could easily fit 33s.

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
If it rubs a tiny bit without the body lift, change the body bushings and it'll probably bring it up enough to keep from rubbing.

Also, if you're planning for a SAS and 35's, then set the ride height higher when you put an axle under the front.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals