• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do You install paper gaskets?

rangerin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pulled my 2.8 out of the ranger and while it's out I'm going to do a ful re-seal. In the past I've had trouble with paper gaskets and I don't want this engine to leak once it's back in. I've tried installing them dry and with some rtv and it seems to be a crapshoot it the gasket seal will hold. So what do you guys do for paper gaskets?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
The biggest factor will be surface prep. Make sure that both surfaces are absolutely clean and do not have any burrs. Then take a straight edge and make sure that the surfaces are flat. Lay a uniform bead of rtv all around the sealing surface of the part that is going onto the engine. Make sure to tighten the bolts uniformly and in a criss cross pattern. Do not over tighten! Snug it down but don't monkey nut them down. If they are too tight they will warp the part and it won't sesl.

AJ

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
You also might want to put the gaskets under a stack of books for a day or two before you put them on to make them lay flat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. been using it for the last 30 years. Works great. I have assembled complete engines using it. An old automotive machinist turned me onto it.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. been using it for the last 30 years. Works great. I have assembled complete engines using it. An old automotive machinist turned me onto it.
No way! Who would have thought?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How far do you plan to go with this reseal? If you plan to literally replace every gasket and seal in the engine, I recommend a Fel-Pro engine gasket set. If that set comes with a Teflon (PTFE) rear main seal, do yourself and get a standard nitrite rubber seal to use instead.

The biggest factor will be surface prep. Make sure that both surfaces are absolutely clean and do not have any burrs. Then take a straight edge and make sure that the surfaces are flat. Lay a uniform bead of rtv all around the sealing surface of the part that is going onto the engine. Make sure to tighten the bolts uniformly and in a criss cross pattern. Do not over tighten! Snug it down but don't monkey nut them down. If they are too tight they will warp the part and it won't sesl.
I can not stress how important those first two sentences are. As for RTV, it is okay to use, but it is best used sparingly unless otherwise called for. Most places you will use it need a skim coat at most. Apply just enough to help seal, but no enough that it'll squeeze out everywhere once bolts are tightened. Modern gasket sets have greatly cut down on the amount of RTV needed to seal a block. A little is needed on the oil pan gasket at the corners where the block meats the main cap. Depending on the gasket style the intake manifold gasket gets RTV at the front and rear of the valley. Doesn't hurt to put a little on the outside diameter of the rear main. That's about all that needs the stuff. The good oil pan gaskets and valve cover gaskets that they have out now are very good at doing their job without any RTV.

Before reassembly check out the condition of the sealing flanges on your oil pan and valve covers. If they are beat all to hell it won't matter what gaskets or RTV you put on they will go back to leaking. If they are rough it might be worth your time trying to straighten them out some or getting replacements.

Other thing I'll add to this is invest in a torque wrench. I don't care how well calibrated your wrist is, it's not good enough to get an even and proper torque on the bolts that need it. Torque anywhere that there is a gasket, which pretty much means torque everything.

If an old automotive machinist told me that I'd never set foot in his door again, and would ignore pretty much anything he told me from that point on. 3M makes great stuff and I'm sure their Super Weatherstrip Adhesive is great at what it was designed for, but that was holding weather strip in place against wind, rain, humidity, and 125 degree weather. It was not made for withstanding prolonged contact with hot motor oils, on an engine that reaches temperatures of 300 degrees plus (engine temp, not coolant temp). If you must use something to hold a gasket in place use a skim coat of RTV that was made for the purpose, it's really not that expensive and a small tube will do a motor.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh look Josh T. It says right on the freaking website "for bonding engine gaskets" but you are so freaking smart I guess we should all believe you.

3M™ Super Weatherstrip Adhesive
For adhering all types of rubber weatherstripping to car doors and trunks. An excellent adhesive for bonding engine gaskets. Black formula is a strong, flexible, rubbery adhesive that withstands vibration and extreme temperature variations.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I was just surprised and learned something new I can use down the road. I'm not doubting you.. Just putting that out there.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was just surprised and learned something new I can use down the road. I'm not doubting you.. Just putting that out there.
I was a bit surprised when I first heard about it. I have used it many times over the years on everything and had a great luck with it. I found many race car mechanics use it too. On small block Chevy intakes I quit using the rubber end pieces and just put a bead of this stuff down. No more failures. Oil and gas don't touch this stuff. Works great on oil pan gaskets too.

You all have heard the tails of leaking Harleys. http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4860

Last edited:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
on paper gaskets i use gasket shellac but only on the part being installed, not on the engine side. also as others have said rtv works so does weather stripping adhesive the biggest factor is surface prep meaning no old gasket or burs and flat and oil free...

i use a die grinder with a 3m rolock disc such as

rangerin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, thanks guys. I just make sure the surfaces are super duper clean. :)

Daamud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
3M trim spray adhesive to hold most gaskets in place.

A skin coat of Permatex flange sealant on some items... Water passages on intakes, water pumps, outside of some seals ect ect...

RTV is for rednecks. With the exception of the ends of intakes where it meets the lifter valley and diff covers. :)

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have always used a very thin coat of blue rtv on my water pumps and thermostat gaskets, never a leak yet. Also used it on my 302s timing cover gasket and it hasn't leaked yet. But like others have said, prep is key, I spent atleast an hour on my timing cover to make sure it was clean and smooth.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals