• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stiffest stock coil spring?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
What is the stiffest stock front coil spring that will fit my 83 ranger?

Does anyone know the spring rates of all the stock coil springs ford made for the 83-97 ranger also?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm sure that you know, but just in case... You can only use 2wd springs on a 2wd, 4wd springs won't work. Also 98+ springs won't fit on a 83-97.

What is the stiffest stock front coil spring that will fit my 83 ranger?
If there are any differences in spring rate the stiffest stock spring would be either from a 97 model with extended cab and V6 or from a Splash Ranger. The '97 is the newest that will fit, so least degradation in spring rate due to wear, and extended cab with v6 was heaviest package so it would have the highest spring rate. The Splash package was lowered 1" from the factory VIA drop springs, and usually aftermarket drop springs have a higher springs rate, so it stands to reason that those would as well.

If you don't have to have stock I would probably go for a set of stock replacement progressive rate springs. Ya gotta figure that at this point the newest stock spring that will fit is 17 years old and has probably been ridden hard and well worn.

Does anyone know the spring rates of all the stock coil springs ford made for the 83-97 ranger also?
From what I've understood in the past they may have used one spring for all Rangers. I've definitely never seen front spring rates listed for pre-98 trucks.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
I have s set of springs that i got with a bunch of lowering parts from a guy and i compared them to my stock 83 2wd 4banger springs and the ones i got from the guy have a thicker coil, i have a pic of thrm side by side i will try to post , iirc the guy said they were from a 93 or 95 v6 ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals