• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 / 99 Ranger swap Need help ASAP Newbee Question

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok so i have a 93 ranger that i bought 2 years ago with a blowen head gasket i picked it up for $200 i tore it down and did a top end rebuild 12,000 miles later ive got 0 compression in cylinder 3 im guessing my piston ring went MIA so i was looking into buying a short block to rebuild and put my top end on. what i found instead was a 1999 Ranger that ran for next to nothing b/c it was owned by a pool cleaning company i guess clorine got spilled in the bed and it ate through the bed and rear frame.. i know i can strip the motor to the long block and put it in my 93. But i also recently got into an accident with my 93 which didnt bend the frame but trashed my front clip.. the 99 cab is in great condition so ive run into a problem i need advice on what i should do..
Option 1
strip the 99 engine to the long block and add my 93 stuff to take care of my engine issue then start drilling out the front clip of the 99 taking the inner fenders and core support out in one piece and installing them on my 93 cab
Option 2
swap motors and cabs they are both 3.0 and regular cab trucks i have everything from the 99 with the exception of anything mounted behind the cab..
the 99 is an automatic flex fuel
my 93 is a 5 speed
id like to stay with the 5 speed (i hate automatics) :annoyed:
im not sure which would be the best option please give me some imput or advice on which way i should go im pulling the two apart today so i need some opinions ASAP thanks

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Regular cabs got a couple of inches longer starting in 98, so you can't easily do the cab swap. You'd need more frame, or less bed length.

Switching the long blocks out is straight forward, and you could take the front end stuff from the 99 and replace the busted stuff on the 93.

Or, you can take the rear frame and bed from your 93, and use them on the 99, that way, you'd have the newer truck which would probably be worth more than the 93, and you'd also have the updated interior, electronics, suspension, increased cab length (more comfort/storage) and advantage of OBDII diagnostics from the newer truck. It might even be less work than switching long blocks, and doing the front end conversion.

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would love to put my bed on the 99 have the advantage of OBD2 and more room however the story behind the 99 is I got it for $400 b/c the guy i bought it from got it from a pool company and I guess someone spilled chlorine in the bed and it ate through the bed and frame so the frame ends at the back of the cab. I mean I was already looking at doing the front end conversion before I bought the 99 in fact ive already welded in a core support from a 01 ranger lol.

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I figured this time I would remove the inner fenders and core support as one just drill out the spot welds at the cab and clamp it or screw it to the truck and check fitment of the other panel's when I get it where I want it ill weld it.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ranger frames are two pieces. The front section changed over the years, depending on the suspension type and cab size. Based on what I've read though, the rear frame sections never changed. Ford riveted the front and rear halves together right around the back of the cab, so it shouldn't be difficult to drill the rivets out, separate the rear half, and install the rear frame section and bed from your 93 onto the 99. In theory anyway, you could end up with a nicer truck that way.

But, if you've already started the front end swap, it may not be worth switching paths mid-project.

Last edited:

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Project update! So I looked for the spot in the frame where the two pieces meet and im guessing that it got cut off with the back half it wouldn't matter anyway b/c the frame is pretty bad up to the front suspension. I got a late start tearing down the 99 (donor truck) I started after 1pm but I still managed to get the whole front end off all the spot welds are drilled out and I also got the transmission out and all of the wiring removed from the engine bay the motor is stripped down ready to be pulled. Tomorrow im hoping to get the motor swap done and hopefully the new front end mounted up on my truck. Im taking plenty of pictures and im going to try and get them up later. thanks for the help so far. :D

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Project Update!!
(i learned how to post pics lol)

Before Pictures
This was after i rear-ended someone before i knew the engine was screwed

Last edited:

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I found out that i had a dead cylinder so i found a donor truck to replace the motor and got a new front-end as a bonus.. :) (Actually it was half a truck but good motor and trans and i couldn't beat the $400 asking price) My truck is a 1993 the donor was a 1999

Donor Truck

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pulling what i needed off the donor truck with the help of a few friends.

Last edited:

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then it was time to tear into my truck..

Wanted to see how the doors fit lol

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When the dust settled and the motors were swapped. This is how it turned out.
That 99 front-clip looks good on my old 93!! I feel A paint job coming soon.. :)

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just for fun this is me getting rid of the remains.. Im surprised it fit LOL

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh and i found out what happened to the old motor...

Guess that explains why i didn't have any compression on that cylinder lol

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, about all I can say, good job!!!

Andrew2910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It took a ton of planning and hard work. I couldn't of pulled it off without the information and resources here at The Ranger Station! It's the most ambitious project I have ever tackled and I am very satisfied with the results. If anyone needs any advice or wants a further explanation of what it took to get it done or anything involved please let me know I would be more than happy to lend my advice / experience. Thanks for following along and if its yours go turn a wrench and make it your own!! :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals