• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Yes, ANOTHER trans question

Mr. Tarkanian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hello TRS forum. I've lurked this site for several years, and am a big fan. This is my first post, and I hope you all can help me with a question. I have a mostly stock 89 BII, 2.9L, A4LD. A few years ago, my dad (it was still his then) had the trans rebuilt. Well, the truck does great, other than one minor issue:

To get the trans to remain in OD, you have to keep pressure on the pedal. If it is going much less than 65, it constantly pops in and out of OD. Going down a hill, if you let it coast, it gears down. The problem is really more of a nuisance than anything else. Does anyone have any ideas?

I really dont think it's the trans. It shifts/runs too well to be messed up. I think it has something out of adjustment? Maybe an out-of-adjustment TV cable? Do these even have TV cables? I read somewhere that a shift solenoid can cause this?

Thanks for any help. I'm not very well versed in the A4LD's :/ I'm mostly a Jeep guy but I LOVE the old RBVs

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
My 89' does pretty much the same thing. I can get it to stay in OD if I don't completely let off the pedal though. It's not feeding gas, but the weight of my foot is still there. If I do let my foot off completely then get back on it, it will be in 3rd gear and I'll pick up whatever speed I lost and ever so slightly back off pressure on the pedal. It's just something I got used to and don't worry about, since it has been doing it for over 200,000 miles. If this really really bothers you, I think the torque converter lock up switch mod in the tech library would solve you issue, I just never did it because I know I would forget about it or not use it or mess something up with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals