• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 BII - No Start (Wont even crank)...

Herms88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Drove my truck to the store a few weeks ago and when i got back in it to leave, it wouldnt even try to crank....Sometimes when i key on, the dash lights come on, other times they dont. When they do come on, as soon as i turn the key to the start position they truck goes dead (electrically).

In the past three months i have installed a new starter, a new starter solenoid, & a new + cable from solenoid to starter. 2 years ago i put in a new ignition switch & key/tumbler mechanism...I took the starter to AutoZone and had it tested (was a reman so i thought maybe it crapped out early) but it was fine..i also bought a new solenoid just because they are cheap and i was there.

The only component that i havent checked/replaced is the clutch interlock switch and i'm not having much luck trying to get at that thing...i'm a big dude and cant contort myself into a position to reach it effectively.

I'm at the point now where i am going to start checking the continuity of the circuit(s) involved but thought i should bring my problem to you all in hopes you could provide me with additional guidance.

So please comment if you have any suggestions, i'm all ears.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
ok i know ur not dumb but check ur battery connection mine did the same thing and the post on my battery was broke inside so it would work but wouldnt crank same as urs so i would check that. i got a new battery and conectors and it has worked evr since.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds to me like the ignition switch itself. If you have replaced it before, it could be a bad connection, or ground. (or just a bad switch) I'd definately start there, anyway.

Herms88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Will look into it...I replaced both the battery & the +/- terminals 2 years ago but definitely wont rule it out. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals