• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

After market ignition

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Out here in Arizona the heat here is causing alot of problems with my TFI ignition. I ve done a TFI remote to a heatsink,but I am still having stalling issues. My queston is, what is a good ignition system I can totaly replace the TFI with. Also I have two extra stock horns from another B2 to use them with the 2 that are on mine now.Do I have to get a higher amp rated relay? or can I use what the factory put in?

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Where did you mount the remote heat sink and did you use alot of the grease. Did you clean the IAT or run codes, I think your hands are tied as far as ignition no way to control the advance without the computer. The best heat sink is for a CPU out of a computer one with alot of fins, if the TFI got too hot it needs to be changed. The horn relay is just a switch I would say maybe a higher amp fuse unless you have a wire size issue. Stuff you probably already know just throwing it out there someone here will chime in be sure and reset the computer if you clean/change any sensors by disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hour.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe lower resistance wires to the TFI (thicker guage) and mount in front of the radiator or out of the engine compartment.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I believe either MSD or Mallory makes an aftermarket TFI module and possibly some other stuff too. I also seem to remember that some Mustangs, or maybe it was T-birds... I dunno... already have a remote TFI module. You could probably snag one from the junkyard and run that.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Get yourself one of these:

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Where did you mount the remote heat sink and did you use alot of the grease. Did you clean the IAT or run codes, I think your hands are tied as far as ignition no way to control the advance without the computer. The best heat sink is for a CPU out of a computer one with alot of fins, if the TFI got too hot it needs to be changed. The horn relay is just a switch I would say maybe a higher amp fuse unless you have a wire size issue. Stuff you probably already know just throwing it out there someone here will chime in be sure and reset the computer if you clean/change any sensors by disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hour.
I got 2 heatsinks from the JY from a Areostar and put them together back to back and butter with dieletric grease and appled grease as per what the tech section said for the TFI. I mounted the the unit down low on the right fender apron in front of the air intake hole. I took a temp reading of the heatsink and was 140 degs. and TFI was at 100.I cleaned IAT and no codes.I thought of putting in a computer heatsink fan on it or some type of 12V fan on it or just move to Alaska ! Thanks for the info

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals