• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found a D35 on craigslist. Should I buy this??

Should I buy this D35?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This guy is asking $800 obo for his Dana 35 with Yukon 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and Warn HD hubs.

I have a D35, but it needs to be regeared to 4.56 to match my rear, and I was planning on taking it into the shop sometime in the next couple weeks to get that done, because I don't know how to set up gears. That would cost me about $800 including parts and labor.

So if I bought this, I could just swap front ends (which I can do myself) and that would give me basically the regear plus a free detroit, and I could sell the old D35 and have an extra set of hubs to sell or keep.

Also how streetable would this be? I already have a No-Slip locker in the rear. Obviously I'm not going to be using 4x4 very much on the street, but if it snows I still want to be able to use it without it being hard to drive.

So what do you guys think? Go get it or no?

Last edited:

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
do it. just dont expect to get on the gas and turn a corner at the same time. if youre on the gas, it will wont to go straight, and no other direction.

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I am pretty easy on the gas (almost never get above 3500 rpm) and I'm pretty careful in bad weather. Will this mess me up on highway snow storm type driving if I'm in 4x4? I'm from Michigan and I do know how to drive in snow, I'm just wondering if the front locker is going to put me in a ditch. Nathan, what locker do (did) you run in the front? Sorry to hear about your truck by the way. Good luck with your next build.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Definatly go for it

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Lets hope the gears are set-up correctly, never assume. Makes me wonder what was put in place of the D35 or if he is just parting out the vehicle it was in......

Snurfer

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
also gotta think about what he used it for. he prolly beat the shit outta it if he was running a detroit. i sold my d35 front with the same exact setup as this one with the lift brackets for the front for 400 bucks. just be sure to look it over real well for any stress cracks or parts that have been modified.

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah I am worried about that too. Last time I got an axle off CL I got screwed because I didn't check it over thoroughly enough and I basically threw away $100. He said he rebuilt it when he put in the gears and locker, which was about 2500 miles ago, but you never really know for sure, do you

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'm with everyone else, make sure it's legit....then buy the darn thing.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
i ran a lockright in front. always worked well. Yeah ask what it was in/used for and go from there. also ask how old the detroit is, it may need a set of springs.

Lrpalo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HD hubs, Detroit locker and Yukon gears.... we all know it was beat on like a red headed stepchild. Go over it with a fine tooth comb

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I think you are gonna be right about that one. The guy told me he is selling it because he's putting in a D44. He said the gears and locker are about three years old with about 2500 miles on it because he used a trailer to get to the trails most of the time. But he also told me he had a FI 302 and was running 35s...so yeah, I bet it's seen some abuse

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals