• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 Ranger clutch recommendation please

zeusfan

Reaction score
I need to replace the clutch in my 92 ranger and I need some recomendations. It is a 2.3L 4banger with 135,000 original miles on it. It is a daily driver and I use it for hauling mulch, dirt, rocks, and anything else I can fit into the bed. Last week it was 1600 lbs. of marble tile for the bathroom remodel. Don't worry I put overloads on it 2 weeks after I bought it. I also pulled the oilpan and stuck in a new higher volume oil pump. It is getting a little weak so I might swap an engine later. Enough of this. I have tried to give you a background of the type of driving I do and the way I drive. I don't dump the clutch or try to burn the tires. Towing my 4x8 trailer and hauling heavy loads (my load limit is 1600 lbs. self imposed) is the most radical thing I do. I have looked at several manufacturers specs, but I cannot find a web site where people have actually compared the different clutches. Please post your thoughts and recomendations or email me at Zeusfan@Charter.net. Thanks in advance for your help and remember God needs to Bless not just the USA but all the World. Please Support out Troops!
Zeusfan

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Load is not relevant for a clutch. Peak engine torque is. You will never put a larger static load on the clutch than your engine's peak torque, whether you're hauling the Empire State Building or your lunch.

So, there is no reason to do anything more than an OEM replacement.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
LUK is a good brand to consider.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yea go for an LuK clutch, either the standard one or I'm using the pro gold one right now, I only went with it because it is 1/4 inch larger than the original one. The 4-cylinder however will never overpower any clutch that is put in there as long as it is installed correctly with a machined flywheel.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
i have always used stock replacement clutches in my trucks and never had a problem with them . and i will admit i do abuse my trucks ie pull starting an 80000 lb semi in 4 wd, towing an 18 ft car trailer with a 49 dodge 1 ton, draging a 49 gmc 1 ton with locked up brakes onto a car trailer. and never had a problem

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
when you get your new clutch quit slipping the clutch to get moving with heavy loads.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals