• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ranger Edge clutch pedal issue. Need help....

vitalka89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I am new to this forum. I recently picked up a 2001 Ranger Edge with the 3.0L in it. I started having problems with the clutch pedal and have tried researching everywhere and can't seem to find an answer. It is similar to the problem many people are having with this failure of a clutch system, but mine corrects itself than goes bad constantly. I will drive it for a week with the clutch pedal feeling good like its supposed to than all of a sudden it starts catching lower and lower to the point where you barely release it from the floor and it's catching than all of a sudden I hop in and the pedal is dead on again, yesterday it was catching at a point where I had to shut the truck off to put it in gear. I am curious if this sounds like a master cylinder problem where I need to bleed the clutch or does it sound like the slave cylinder inside the tranny. I don't want to start tearing everything apart and changing parts that don't need change if I don't have to.

Neathway

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I expect you'll find your slave cylinder is the problem. They're known for being problematic. My `92, with only 172000 km and change (106000 miles and change) on the odometer, is on it's third slave cylinder.

vitalka89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you come across this same style problem? What would cause it to do this? It doesn't leak and the fluid has never got low or anything.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If there's no leak, it's likely not the slave. I would suspect the master has an internal leak (fluid leaking past the piston or bypass valve seals).

vitalka89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If there's no leak, it's likely not the slave. I would suspect the master has an internal leak (fluid leaking past the piston or bypass valve seals).
If I pull that master cylinder down would I be able to visually see the internal leak or is that something I would just replace the cylinder and hope that is the answer? My previous cars were Hondas and an entirely different setup so I am not too familiar with this setup.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you could see it, it would be an external leak.

vitalka89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you could see it, it would be an external leak.
What i meant is if i was to pull it off would there be any signs of internal leak? As in, are the accessible gaskets or something that would show wear that would make it noticeable.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Not really, I think it's a non-serviceable assembly.

Try this:
Disconnect the clutch hose fitting next to transmission.
Apply LIGHT pressure to the clutch pedal (10-20lbs). It should feel VERY solid, like it's fixed in place. If it slowly sinks down, check that the connector you undid isn't leaking (it's supposed to be self-sealing). If it is not leaking, then most likely you have leakage inside the master past the piston seal, requiring it's replacement.

vitalka89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not really, I think it's a non-serviceable assembly.

Try this:
Disconnect the clutch hose fitting next to transmission.
Apply LIGHT pressure to the clutch pedal (10-20lbs). It should feel VERY solid, like it's fixed in place. If it slowly sinks down, check that the connector you undid isn't leaking (it's supposed to be self-sealing). If it is not leaking, then most likely you have leakage inside the master past the piston seal, requiring it's replacement.
This is the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you, I will try this in the next few days and I'll let you know what happens.

vitalka89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fixed!!!!!

Hey guys, I thought I would come back here and let you know I fixed my problem. This weekend I decided the pedal was pissing me off enough to try fixing it. I changed the clutch master cylinder with a new one from Schucks and used the proper bleeding procedure and voila! Drove it around 2 days now and the pedal is still nice and firm. Thought I would post my fix on here in case anyone comes across this.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Glad you got it fixed. :icon_thumby:
Appreciate the follow up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals