• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I don’t know what is happening, and It’s scaring me.

AnahRabekka1501

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1989 Ford Ranger Xlt Supercab. That’s the easy part. Hard part is trying to figure out what the hell is happening. Let me break it down.
1. Turn signals make my oil pressure needle flutter back and forth with the clicking.
2. My Drivers headlight is dim as mess, like super yellow, while my passenger side is good. I also have zero high beam in the drivers side.
3. My headlights are so out of alignment that they don’t help me at all when driving. How can I adjust the angle?

Thank you for reading and all the help I hope to receive. I really don’t need more problems with this truck, I’m trying to make it better and build it into a nicer rig.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sounds like a few things going on....

1. Turn signals make my oil pressure needle flutter back and forth with the clicking.

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere...that may take a bit of searching for the source...did you do any work recently like installing a radio, splicing wires, patching in wires to the fuse panel?

If so and this started happening just after...backtrack and check your work...otherwise check your grounds for corrosion...battery cables...loose connections on the battery or the solenoid on the fender where your battery connects to the starter circuit...tighten, clean, replace damaged wires.

2. My Drivers headlight is dim as mess, like super yellow, while my passenger side is good. I also have zero high beam in the drivers side.

High beams may be the bulb needs to be replaced...if the low beams work...and the dimming may indicate the bulb also...it is just about ready to go out...simple to replace them...go to a junkyard and grab some spares...they don't usually charge for them or very low price...I always grabbed spares when going in for other things...

Otherwise could be another wire/socket issue...if replacing the bulb doesn't fix it check the wires...back to any connections in the harness...maybe a bare wire that is shorting out...

3. My headlights are so out of alignment that they don’t help me at all when driving. How can I adjust the angle?

There are adjustment screws that you can use to align them...they are on the side and bottom of the lens on each side...star screw driver will adjust...spray the adjusters with some penetrating oil before doing anything...if they are too badly rusted you may need to do a bit of cleaning...if they look clean check the alignment before doing anything.

I used to drive up to a wall or garage door (nonreflective) and park about 5 feet away...best done at night...see where they are aimed...if you can't tell that then you may need to check with a mechanic but they are not hard to adjust or determine their aim.

If you can, adjust them so they were slightly off to the right towards passenger side and the beam was pointing level with the hood or slightly downwards...you don't want to blind the traffic coming at you and don't want them too high or too low...you can see approx where they are pointed on the wall by the way they focus...

EDIT: If your lenses are dirty you can clean them...check this thread for tips on cleaning...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174782

I used the method of wet sanding and clear coat spray but there are others that work just as well..

Not a lot to fix but certainly can be frustrating when they all happen at once or the show up around the same time...but you get used to it...and it's fun to be on top of it.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go get your alternator checked. Aside from what is probably a bad bulb (you do know they burn out from time to time, right?) most of what you have described is either a grounding issue, as Mark suggested, or a weak/failed alternator. Most parts stores offer free alternator testing, both on and off the vehicle, and while you are there you can pick up some headlights (always replace the bulbs in pairs) and maybe some of that headlight restoring stuff (how oxidized are your lenses?).

The fact that the oil pressure gauge is involved suggests a grounding issue. The way the gauge works is that power flows through the windings at the needle, down to the pressure switch, which grounds the gauge, through the block, when pressure is applied. If adding a load to the system makes it act funny that suggests there is an issue with the ground circuit. An easy way to test this is to hook a jumper cable between the engine (alternator or power steering brackets are good spots to get a good connection) and the battery negative. Then start the engine and turn the turn signals on. If the issue is no longer present go get some battery cables, one with a terminal end, and one with two eyes. Replace your negative battery cable with the terminal one, and run the other between the engine and body.

AnahRabekka1501

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you both. I’m still working on the grounding issue, but I’m probably going to do the two wire solution adsm08 suggested. I finally found the alignment threads for the headlights, they are at least better now. And it was the bulb. I got some $9 hella bulbs off amazon and threw them in, problem solved. Downside, everything in this truck is dryrotten so i broke the clip on the bulb plug. Found a replacment, just havent ordered yet. And i knew it wasnt an oxidation issue, the assembly themselves were brand new in 2012.

**I thought it was the alternator too, but I got a battery checker from walmart and my alternator is putting out some decent charge. It was replaced back in... 2003? 2006?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals